Mooring Cover Snap Installing

Reaction score
2010 24SLi I have my new Tumac cover (comes without snaps). Instructions that come with it are VERY high level.

It seems to me I get my old cover lay it out on the ground. Put my new cover on top and put snaps in the same places?

Issues with this approach?

I can see where you are coming from. With most ‘some assembly required products’ I just look at the picture on the box and start assembling. In this case read the instructions! First of all covers will not lay flat on the floor. A bigger issue has to do with manufacturing tolerance. The cover must snap on despite boat, cover and your snap location variation. Good instructions must take this into consideration. I like to use a hot poker when making a snap hole. It is fast and it seals up lose threads but again if the instructions recommend a specific process than follow it.

A “hot poker” is my term for anything that melts a 3/16 diameter hole thru the fabric. I use a sheet rock screw clamped into a vice grip pliers. A big fat nail will also work. Heat the poker up with a torch. It works like hot knife thru butter.

Soldering iron. The benefit is you can hold like a pencil.

Great suggestions on burning a clean hole, but we haven't addressed the main issue -- technique to locate the snaps in the right place. I have never done this but I would definitely not try to lay the cover out on the ground. I would drape it over the boat and probably use spring clamps to hold one side to the rail while I installed a couple of snaps on the other side. Then go back and pull slightly to mark for the snaps where the clamps were. Then do the same for the bow and stern. I'd only install a couple at a time before moving to another part of the boat. The goal is to have the cover slightly taught but even all the way around the perimeter. How taught? Heck, I don't know. You clearly don't want pooling after a rain, but you need enough slack so when the poles are installed, there is some slope to the cover to make the rain roll off.

Great suggestions by sunedog. I would add to it by recommending clamping at all 4 corners before starting the process and committing to snaps. That way you will avoid getting to the last snap and finding excess material pucker. I use c-clamps a lot. Once again read the instructions for further reference.

Guys, what a call on the pencil-pointed soldiering iron. I cannot imagine doing the job without it. It worked like a charm. Thank you so very much. Another good call on not using my original idea. I had to move 3 male snaps to accommodate the new cover. The new cover has 3 tent poles instead of 4. Seems OK since it is under an awning and does not get direct rain. Air vents on top much-improved fo sho.

Back