Mooring Eyelets Wearing Away

rmelarkey66

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced an issue with the bow mooring eyelets wearing away from either a secure mooring to a buoy or dock. My outer eyelets are secured to a buoy and they are wearing away. See the pictures from each end. Is this covered under warranty or can replacements be welded in place of existing mooring eyelet? Or is there a plastic or rubber insert?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 36
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 36
Warranty coverage would depend on the year of your boat. You can do a search for the warranty statement in the upper right corner for the Warranty Statement.

Wow! I’ve personally never seen that before. You must get a lot of wave action. The good news might be that replacements could be welded on.

Keep us posted on how you resolve the issue.

Yikes! It is as if a steel cable had its way with the soft aluminum bow eye. What did contact the bow eye? Also was there relative movement that created a sawing action?

Yikes! It is as if a steel cable had its way with the soft aluminum bow eye. What did contact the bow eye? Also was there relative movement that created a sawing action?
A theatered snap hook connected to a buoy on each side.

The force that created the wear appears to come from two directions. What could cause this? In high winds does the boat yaw side to side? Also a picture of the snap hook might be helpful.

The boat does sway on the buoy under high winds and the normal lake current in front of a high traffic area. I’ll get a picture of mooring snap hook next time and post. Here is a picture from yesterday. Wind pushing and stressing one side.

Attachments

• IMG_9204.jpeg
    IMG_9204.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 30
Totally unrelated, but that’s a sharp looking boat!

Yikes is right! Those look ready to break loose, and are certainly in need of repair. Remember, it's soft aluminum and this will end in disaster if you don't address it. Don't be fooled by the amount of aluminum that's still left. It will not wear down to nothing and break. It will break long before it wears down to nothing. Until you can get it fixed, you might consider putting a secondary backup rope (loosely tied to the ball) to a cleat or two in case those eyes break in a storm. Hopefully your boat will still be there afterwards.

Yikes is right! Those look ready to break loose, and are certainly in need of repair. Remember, it's soft aluminum and this will end in disaster if you don't address it. Don't be fooled by the amount of aluminum that's still left. It will not wear down to nothing and break. It will break long before it wears down to nothing. Until you can get it fixed, you might consider putting a secondary backup rope (loosely tied to the ball) to a cleat or two in case those eyes break in a storm. Hopefully your boat will still be there afterwards.
Great idea on the secondary hookup to protect the boat from floating away.

Update… I purchased two mooring pendants to attach to the bow cleats. I will have my eyelets replaced but moving forward I’ll be using the pendants on 1/2 rope with chafe guard and stainless thimble. Thanks for the help.

If needing custom mooring ropes, please contact www.dbropes.com

That sounds like a solution. I thought my eyelets looked bad until I saw yours. 14 years of wear and tear from docking on the main channel of Lake Cumberland KY.

Back