Motor Revs High but no Increase in Speed

kcman

Reaction score
Took the boat out today and I noticed when we were cruising about 3,000 RPM's that I occasionally felt the boat was not moving smoothly, (i.e., lunging back and forth now and then).  Like a car when it misses but the motor sounded like it was running smoothly.  I moved the motor down further in the water and the same thing.  I then moved the motor up a bit and the same.  I then pulled the throttle and the engine rev'ed up but no real or little gain in speed from the 3,000 to 4,500 RPM's.  It seems like the propeller might be slipping.  If so, is this easy to tighten?  The motor is still under warranty but I do not have a trailer and the dealer is about 30 miles from my house so I thought if this is an easy fix, I would try myself before contacting the dealer.  Thanks.  

Have you tried trimming all the way down just to be sure? Any noise from the prop?

I did not notice any noise from the prop and will try trimming all the way down.

Maybe your breakaway hub broke away...  I've yet to hear someone describe what happens when that happens. You could be the first. What is your top speed?

That would be an easy fix. If that's not it, I'm afraid you could have a serious problem.

I assume you checked and are not dragging something like a small branch or weeds caught around your lower unit. That's happened to me and it acted just like you describe. Have you trimmed all the way up to see if something is caught on the lower unit or prop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe your breakaway hub broke away...  I've yet to hear someone describe what happens when that happens. You could be the first. What is your top speed?

That would be an easy fix. If that's not it, I'm afraid you could have a serious problem.

I assume you checked and are not dragging something like a small branch or weeds caught around your lower unit. That's happened to me and it acted just like you describe. Have you trimmed all the way up to see if something is caught on the lower unit or prop?

I did trim the motor up once I returned to check to make sure nothing was caught around the lower unit and found nothing.  That said the lake did have a lot of small debris (twigs and leaves) from a storm we had earlier in the day so something may be be caught and broke free before I pulled into my slip.  I plan to try to take it out again today to see if the problem persists but it may be difficult as we have more storms coming in this afternoon.  

I've done a bit more research and found a very handy video (mentioning both a spun hub or debris) as likely culprits to the problem. 

Yep, it happened to me after a storm and the resevoir was on the way up, floating junk off the shoreline.  I hope it is your breakaway hub or debris.  Both are cheap fixes.  Keep us posted.  Stuff like this always helps others deal with similar situations. 

I carry a spare hub and the tools (including an 8-inch 2x4) to be able to change the prop on the boat.  Which means I'll never need them.  As soon as I take the spares/tools off, I'll need them!

Last edited by a moderator:
You must have been on a neighboring lake. MY lake has zero debris in it. Especially after a storm!

Yep, it happened to me after a storm and the resevoir was on the way up, floating junk off the shoreline.  I hope it is your breakaway hub or debris.  Both are cheap fixes.  Keep us posted.  Stuff like this always helps others deal with similar situations. 

I carry a spare hub and the tools (including an 8-inch 2x4) to be able to change the prop on the boat.  Which means I'll never need them.  As soon as I take the spares/tools off, I'll need them!

Took the boat out yesterday for a quick spin and the prop was working OK.  I did notice a large branch floating near my slip and that could have been the culprit or it could have been other debris that broke loose while I was pulling into my slip.  Bottom line -- grandkids will be happy as they will be coming for a 2 week visit in early June and they live on the boat.  If I let them, they would sleep there as well.  Grandkids are great!

Bottom line -- grandkids will be happy as they will be coming for a 2 week visit in early June and they live on the boat.  If I let them, they would sleep there as well.  Grandkids are great!

I bought my Bennie the year our first grandchild was born. They are now 6 and 3 and ask about it all the time!

Randy, I think they will like the ride on the new one better!

If it's working now, must have just been debris. Sometimes you get lucky!

Back