Motor trailering position

Boomers dad

Reaction score
For you guys with 10" tires. and outboard motors. Do you have to use the transom saver to keep your motor from bouncing? I would like to change my tires from 14" to 10" to make unloading easier and for clearance in storage.. However with the 14" I can just leave my motor in the down position and I have plenty of road clearance.

I guess it may be the different trailer designs. I have 10's and I still have plenty of clearance to leave my motor down. IF I didn't and had to tow with the motor up, I'd probably use a transom saver.

I trailer with mine down as well, and have little or no bounce, and plenty of clearance. I would guess that you would still have enough clearance, but that's just a guess!

Thanks guys. Could one of you measure too see how much clearance you have?

My boat is 2.5 hours and one weekend away. :) My guess is I have between 1.5-2 ft clearance. Maybe more. My trailer rails are on top of the tires. Then the toons, then the transom. That makes for a pretty high motor.

I have never check nor do I want to take a chance with having the motor down while trailering. I use the built in locking lever on the motor in the up position on my 150 yama and get no bounce. I have thought about adding a transom saver brace but don't see a need for it on mine for now.

Hey Wild and Free, I thought I read in the Yamaha manual that the lock on the motor is NOT to be used when trailering. It is only to be used when needed to work on the motor. I could be wrong but you might want to check your manual.

Hey Wild and Free, I thought I read in the Yamaha manual that the lock on the motor is NOT to be used when trailering. It is only to be used when needed to work on the motor. I could be wrong but you might want to check your manual.
Guess I must have mssed that part. O well after 5 years with no issues I will continue to do it if it breaks it would be a 5 minute job to replace.

As per the Yamaha Engine Owners Manual:

Notice: Do not use the tilt support lever or knob when trailering the boat. The outboard motor could shake loose from the tilt support and fall. If the motor cannot be trailered in the normal running position, use an additional support device to secure it in the tilt position.

Last edited by a moderator:
As per the Yamaha Engine Owners Manual:

Notice: Do not use the tilt support lever or knob when trailering the boat. The outboard motor could shake loose from the tilt support and fall. If the motor cannot be trailered in the normal running position, use an additional support device to secure it in the tilt position.
I guess the Mercury manual(I don't have mine here) says roughly the same. It makes sense. My motor is probably 1 1/2 to 2 foot above the ground when down. I see no way for it to hit anything. But, my dealer put my Verado on the tilt support when I picked it up and I have done the same since.

andy

I trailer mine in the down position as well and have no problems. I also have about 16 inches of clearance.

Boomers Dad,

I tilt my motor down until the motor touches the 2 prongs that begin the trimming down. If that makes sense. With the lights on the trailer being in the way, I couldn't find a way to add a transom saver. I am not sure about the trailer tire size I have, my rig is getting her 15 hour check up.

Will

Back