Motor Well Covers

Ishoot308

Reaction score
I made these motor well covers for my new Benny Q-27X2. I made them so they can stay in place when running. They do not interfere with steering or any connections and the motors are allowed to trim up without interference. I removed one of the trim screws and just extended it through the cover to hold in place. There is waterproof closed cell foam tape around the bottom perimeter to keep from sliding. I used a rubber shipping & receiving dock truck bumper that fit perfectly under where the cutout is on the outside edge to hold and shim level. Added some no slip tape and done!

Thought I would share this in case any of you want to duplicate…

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_6692.jpeg
    IMG_6692.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 89
Thank you for sharing. Looks great. Do they ever bounce out when hitting a wave?

Wow - that looks very professional. Can you step on it without it bending? Bennington should pay you for the design idea! Nice job.
Yes, the material I used is very strong and does not flex at all…

Thank you for sharing. Looks great. Do they ever bounce out when hitting a wave?
No they can’t bounce out. I removed one of the trim screws and extended it through the cover so it’s held down can’t go anywhere. By doing I have no added holes in the boat at all…

Nice job! Looks great!

What is the purpose of them? Just to have easier/safer area of walking?
On the narrow beam models with twin engines, there is very limited space to board back there without them. I have no port side boarding door only the door and access in the bow. Depending on water level and dock height the front boarding area can be a difficult high step up especially for older people or pets. These panels completely cover the motor well hole and give you a much larger and safer boarding area.

Dan

Nice work and thanks for sharing! I’ve been thinking about doing something similar for the last couple of years. This season I might just have to get motivated to follow through.

Ditto Michiman’s comments!

One thing I didn’t think about when installing these covers is the snaps for the mooring cover. A couple of them are in fact underneath the motor well covered area….ill have to come up with a solution for that short of taking the motor well cover on and off when putting on mooring cover… work in progress I guess!!

The cover you used. Is that composite board? And I assume you run your bilge pump on auto? Really cool set-up. I know by the time we come in, it’s dark and I don’t have lights on my canopy. It does make me somewhat nervous walking back there to clean at night. I definitely don’t want another shattered heel from slipping into it.

Note to self…install canopy lights

I am in the building trades and the panel I used was a custom 3/4” panel imported from Germany that we had left over from a project we are doing. It’s super strong and rigid. Starboard panel would work fine as well and can be purchased at most online boating stores. My bilges are on auto. It only takes one screw to remove panels so it’s really no big deal to remove them if necessary.

Dan

I am in the building trades and the panel I used was a custom 3/4” panel imported from Germany that we had left over from a project we are doing. It’s super strong and rigid. Starboard panel would work fine as well and can be purchased at most online boating stores. My bilges are on auto. It only takes one screw to remove panels so it’s really no big deal to remove them if necessary.

Dan
Thanks Dan I appreciate all the information!

Back