My first tritoon

brian boatin

Reaction score
I just purchase my first boat. After renting many boats to see which boat would fit the family needs we decided on a 2002 22 foot tritoon with a 130 hp Honda motor (bf-130). I had high hopes that we could ski and tube behind this Cadillac of boat but during my first trip out with only my wife and my self aboard the boat performance was at best disappointing. We could only do about 26 mph at 6000 rpms. I looked at the prop and the numbers reads as follows (d3x14x11r). I assume that means 3 blades, 14-inch diameter, with an 11 pitch. After looking at the prevuse owner paperwork I notice that it came with a 13-inch diameter prop. So do I have the optimal prop on my boat or did I just buy the biggest boat enchor on the planet?

I would assume you are way under pitched and the motor is hitting the rev limiter at 6000 rpm's. I would think a 13 or 14 pitch would be better suited for that boat. The previouse owner may have carried a LARGE load and needed the lower pitch. Do your pontoons have lifting strakes on them and what kind of boat is it? I would think even without lifting strakes you should be able to run high 20's to mid 30's.

I would say with the 130 you are ok with a 14 pitch but it needs to jump up in diameter a few inches go to a 14-15 inch diameter seems to be about the best match for 130-150 hp on 22 foot boats.

I would assume you are way under pitched and the motor is hitting the rev limiter at 6000 rpm's. I would think a 13 or 14 pitch would be better suited for that boat. The previouse owner may have carried a LARGE load and needed the lower pitch. Do your pontoons have lifting strakes on them and what kind of boat is it? I would think even without lifting strakes you should be able to run high 20's to mid 30's.
The boat model is a 2275FS and yes it has lifting strakes along the sides. If I was to go even bigger on the pitch(15-17)would that damage the motor? 90 percent of the time I will only have me, my wife and two kids in the boat doing some tubing so I dont think Im to concern about the hole shot. Thanks for your help.

The boat model is a 2275FS and yes it has lifting strakes along the sides. If I was to go even bigger on the pitch(15-17)would that damage the motor? 90 percent of the time I will only have me, my wife and two kids in the boat doing some tubing so I dont think Im to concern about the hole shot. Thanks for your help.
Hey Brian, we have a 2275rl with a Honda 150 and use a 15x15p Enertia. I tried 17p and 16p and the 15 does the best. IMO I think you would want a 14p as a starting point.

I agree with Carl and Suzie. I think a 15x14 would be a good starting point. As far as hurting your motor , as long as you keep in the operating range in wide open throttle, you will not hurt your motor. I don't know what Hondas WOT is , but would assume its 5000 to 6000 rpm's. I like to get a motor as close to the top of the range as possible.

Thanks for all the tips. Im going to order a 14 x 14 today as a starting point and will let you know how things go after the weekeng. Again thanks for all the help.

Back