My nagging performance problem: SOLVED!

tcpip95

Reaction score
I've been struggling with a performance problem for quite some time now.  Actually it goes back nearly 3 years ago when I replaced the dual ellipticals with the Sport Performance Package.  The main problem was that I saw a drop in RPMs.  At first it was a gradual drop, then it slowly got worse and worse.  I attributed it to the increase in weight from switching the ellipticals out.

Finally, it got to the point where I couldn't get past 5,200 RPM.  Thinking it was motor height related, I started moving the motor to the various holes.  Tried hole 1, then hole 2, then hole 3.  No changes.  Then tried different props: 14" x 13P, 13.5" x 15P 4-blad, 14.5" x 15P.  No changes.

Had my dealer run a diagnostic check on my motor - no diagnostic error codes returned.

Finally I start digging on the Internet and learn that I should check my fuel injectors.  I've religiously serviced the boat at 100 hour intervals; fuel filter, fuel/water separator filter, check for water and contaminants in the fuel.  When I hit the 500 hour mark on the engine I had them change the water pump impeller as well as all other 500 hour services.  In going back over my maintenance records, I discovered that my fuel injectors have never been cleaned or serviced - in 4 years!

I found a guy down in Naples that services fuel injectors.  He has a YouTube video that shows how to remove them (extremely simple). I pulled the 4 injectors (Yamaha F150 4-stroke) and drove down to Naples.  I got them back the next day.  He told me they were severely clogged, and out of calibration.  He told me that there is a VST Filter on Yamahas that needs to be cleaned as well.  It is a hard-to-get-at filter, which requires removing the intake manifolds and some other hardware.  He said that if I didn't clean that, the injectors would get clogged sgain.  He told me that it wasn't a difficult task (removing some bolts and hoses) but that it was time consuming and that the dealer would charge about $700 all told.

Long story short, I performed the VST filter service, replaced the fuel filter and the fuel/water separator filter and took it out for a test.  I have the stock Yamaha Reliance Pro 14.5" x 15P prop on it.  Hit 5,950 RPM at WOT.  Don't have GPS numbers as I'm right in the middle of swapping out my GPS.

So lessons learned:

1. Service your fuel injectors yearly.  Cost: $18 per injector

2. Service your VST filter yearly.  It's a PITA to get to, but it's gotta be done.  Here's the procedure: http://www.thehulltruth.com/sim-yamaha-verado-club-parts/222603-f150-vst-filter-replacement.html#b

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know for the Yamaha guys.

Great info for the Yamaha owners.  What does VST stand for?  Obviously fuel related...

Anyone know if Mercury motors have similar filters?  Pretty sure my Merc 150 Fourstroke has two fuel filters, a high pressure (I think that's a dealer only replacement) and a low pressure (which is a DIY job, and you don't even need tools to do it).  But, I don't recall for sure.  I know I don't have a water separator filter/canister.  Mercury does not recommend them (can starve fuel at high rpm or something like that).

VST = Vapor Separator Tank.

Good Info, I have also had a dramatic drop in my RPM's and thought it might be a prop issue, I will have my mechanic look into this

Is this something that using "Yamalube" would potentially protect you from?

Would some type of additive like a fuel injector cleaner be added without causing damage to a marine engine?

well.........

Yes, everyone I know recommends Seafoam.  Yamaha recommends Yamalube Ring-Free.

However, the guy who serviced my injectors highly recommended against either product.  He said they were highly corrosive, and Yamaha recommends it "because they sell it ". But then again if it worked, the injector cleaning guy would be out of a job.

So I've resigned myself to have my injectors serviced annually whether they need it or not. I'm also going to swap out my fuel filters every 50 hours. My goal is to not have to clean that VST filter for about 300 hours or so. 

I'm not going to use any additives.

(Knock on wood)  Never had any problems with the performance of the boat. I attribute that in part to NEVER using ethanol fuel. I've used ethanol free since this engine was new in 2008..........

I do use Seafoam once a season on a full tank of fuel............

I've never used ethanol fuel either.  It's always been fresh rec 90 fuel since the day I bought the boat.  I've always bought it from marinas that sell a LOT of fuel.  I've been told that you can use ethanol fuel as long as you use it up within 14 days.  I dunno.... I don't trust it.  I'll stick with non-ethanol, and service my filters more often.  They're easy to do.  Every 50 hours for us is about two months.

Back