My new Solas Prop is arriving today

Yeah, that's it... Just a restrictor plate. Looks like a machined aluminum bearing in the picture I have.

I haven't yet had a chance to head down to the boat (which is a 5 minute walk) because APPARENTLY, when I signed my most recent contract I thought I was agreeing to be a nerd but in reality I seem to be a project manager. At least it's fun.
I am interested as well since I think I have the same setup as you .... same boat and engine. I will keep looking for your update.

OK, I finally got the pondless waterfall in front of the house done, so I had some time this morning to walk over to the dock and take care of this.

I took off the intake box, which is just a plastic piece with a spark arrestor screen at the end. The whole thing fits in the palm of your hand and involved one hose clamp and two bolts.

The restrictor is actually different than the picture I saw. It's just a disk about the size of a silver dollar with a hole about the size of a quarter in the middle and a bunch of small holes in a circle around that.

You just reach in with your finger to grab it and give a gentle yank. It pops right out.

The results were less than I had hoped for in that I only got back 100rpm and 1mph, but still.. 19.5mph is better than 18.

I wonder what my 14x10p Mercury prop would do now...

BTW, this supposedly works on the 70 horse Yamaha as well, turning it into a 90.

Eric, did you disconnect the battery for 10min. to clear the adaptive memory?

Also, from what i've read, it takes some time for the ecm to learn a new fuel curve. They say to run it like you stole it for a while.

I have my air inlet sitting on my desk with the disc removed, waiting for me to get this underskinning done, 2 more panels to go...... I'll post some pics soon!

I have a battery disconnect switch that I routinely turn to "off" when I leave the boat.

I am told that this disconnects the ECM also, although I haven't personally investigated since getting to the battery is such a PITA. It would be simpler to leave my dock lights on overnight and then jump it from the remote terminals.

As for running it hard, well... In my world, anything with an engine has two speeds. On and Off. ;)

I might go out this evening if it cools off enough. I'm not a huge fan of 90+ and high humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Solas prop you put on a 14x9? I have the same boat 20SLi and engine 50T but I have 25" logs, so I am waiting to hear your outcome on the prop and engine restrictor plate. Did you get your boat from Buckeye Lake Marina too?

Yes, it's a 14x9p.

I am hitting the mid-19's, and that's with 23" tubes, so pair of 25's should do better.

Back