Need Prop Help - New Boat Owner

jaytam5

Reaction score
Hey guys, new Bennington owner (well 1 year in) and love the boat. Model 2375GCW that I bought used. It has the Yamaha 250 VMAX 4-stroke SHO. It came with a Solas 15 3/4 x 15 prop that I bent and messed up last summer. I had a local dealer install a Solas 3551-148-19 only because it came with the boat when I purchased it. I tried it out today and it was awful. No low end torque and could not cut back and forth. Basically all I use the boat for is pulling my daughter and her friends on a 3 person tube on a freshwater lake and then just cruising. Top end speed is not needed, just low end toque where I can whip them around, trying to throw them off! LOL!
Any suggestion on what prop would be best guys would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for helping this rookie out!
Jay

Hey guys, new Bennington owner (well 1 year in) and love the boat. Model 2375GCW that I bought used. It has the Yamaha 250 VMAX 4-stroke SHO. It came with a Solas 15 3/4 x 15 prop that I bent and messed up last summer. I had a local dealer install a Solas 3551-148-19 only because it came with the boat when I purchased it. I tried it out today and it was awful. No low end torque and could not cut back and forth. Basically all I use the boat for is pulling my daughter and her friends on a 3 person tube on a freshwater lake and then just cruising. Top end speed is not needed, just low end toque where I can whip them around, trying to throw them off! LOL!
Any suggestion on what prop would be best guys would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for helping this rookie out

What was the RPM upper limit of the 15" prop? And what was the upper limit of the 19" prop? Did you like the performance of the 15?

I see most props are the Yamaha saltwater series 2 props and the Mercury Enertia props for pontoons with this engine. Most likely somewhere around a 17" pitch is where you want to be

You can also put your specs into prop God ( https://propgods.com/) and see what he recommends. He's a very good resource
Good luck

If you were happy with your previous prop , a bent prop can be repaired or buy the same size prop
Any suggestion on what prop would be best guys would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for helping this rookie out!
Jay

I have no experience with a Titan HR (high rake) but those props are meant for high speed planing applications. My guess is there is just too much pitch and cup - basically too much prop for your 250 pushing a semi-displacement hull.

As noted an Enertia 17 is a great combo of speed, hole shot and efficiency. If you want more down low and hole shot pulling tubes and skiers then a Yamaha SWS2 in 15 or 16p will give you that and still have some decent top end. If budget constrained there are other Solas props better suited for a pontoon that some members are running - the search function can help track down those threads.

Back