Neep Prop Help, 2275 RCW, 115hp Merc

ryanstapes

Reaction score
I have 2011 2275 RCW with 115hp 4-stroke Mercury. I’m past the break-in phase and now am trying to get some better performance out of this setup. I’ve tried 2 different aluminum props and now I’m not sure where to go from here, both were tested under the same conditions (2 people, full tank of gas, calm water, low wind)

Prop #1 - 14 x 13p, 6500rpm & 23mph at WOT. Between 5500 and 6500rpm I actually see the speed decrease slightly, plus this operates slightly above the rpm range.

Prop #2 – 13.75 x 15p, 5800rpm & 22mph at WOT. I lost 1mph in top speed and now am at the bottom of the rpm range.

(Max rpm range recommended is between 5800 – 6400)

I’m not sure what is happening with the 13p that causes the top 1000rpm not give me any increase in speed, could it be ventilation? Between the 13p and 15p I saw a 700rpm drop, where I was expecting only to see around 400rpm, is the 0.25” change in diameter making a big difference? I really don’t know where to go from here. I see Mercury sells a 14 x 13 prop with extra cupping, is that worth a try? Also, could the motor height be off maybe I need to drop it down a little?

I guess I was expecting to see a top speed around 27 to 28mph, but maybe I’m wrong and 23mph is all it’s going to do. Hopefully you guys have some suggestions for me.

Thanks

I would think the 13 would be the right prop for your boat. Can you move your motor down 1 hole. If you can thats what I would do. That way you will be in cleaner water. It does sound like a ventilation issue.

And welcoome to the forum.

Thank you for the response, I think dropping the motor one hole is a good place to start too. Unfortunately, my boat is two hours away and only see her on the weekends, but assuming there is room to drop it one hole is that easy to do? I think I would need to be able to lift the whole 400lbs motor? I suppose I could get a cherry picker, but is there an easier way?

I have never done it myself. I would contact the dealer you purchased it from and find out what hole they mounted it in. They should know. Also they might be able to give you some suggestions on how to move the motor safely. Heck if your close to the dealer have them do it.

Lowering the motor in itself is pretty easy IF you have the right equipment. A cherry picker is the best way, although i have heard of some folks using a tree and a comealong. That sounds a bit dangerous to me. If you have a marina where you store your toon, they should be able to do it for a minimal fee.

The marinia I purchased it from is not very close, although there is a local one right by me I could try if the price was right. This sounds like something I could handle on my own, but I'll do some more research on it first.

Ryan, I have the exact same rig. I was also running the 14X13 aluminum and hit 23-24 top speed. I upgraded my prop to a SS Vengeance that is 13.375 x 14 pitch. It only gave me another 2 mph on my top end.

With bimini down, half tank of fuel, and current set up I would say 25 mph would be best case scenario for you.

I also have a 2275GCW. I have 32" toons with lifting stakes running a 115 Merc. Currently it has a merc 14x13 extra cup aluminum. I'm getting 26mph GPS at 5900rpm. with 4 people and 3 labs onboard. Still deciding where to go on the final prop. Had 8 people and 5 labs on it the other day and only got 19mph at 5200rpm, it never got up on the strakes... I'm open to suggestions too..

Last edited by a moderator:
My rig hit 26 with the top up, a full tank of gas and just me on board. I'm running the prop that came on the boat.

I do trim it up to the first hash mark from fully down. Not sure which holes are being used (it's 3 hours away) but don't these boats come from the factory with the motors installed?

In my case the dealer was the one that installed the motor, not sure if that’s how it always works. I assume they set it up with the bottom of the transom in line with the bottom of the cavitation plate, but I have not verified this yet.

I’m fine if my setup is only capable of 23-24mph, I just don’t want to be missing anything that would hurt the performance. I’ve called the dealer with my issue and they disagree that anything is wrong and told me that the 14 x 13 prop that I’m running is my best bet.

Going back to the question about having the correct prop, has anyone compared an extra cup prop to one of the same size without the extra cup? I see Fryfigter has an extra cup 14 x 13, but is that what you started with?

BTW, some extra info on my boat that I see others are giving, It’s a two toon with 25” tubes, no strakes and I was testing it with the top up.

I'm using a SS 13 1/2 x 15 on a 2275gcw and top out at 28. Yamaha 115. Not sure on brand of prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case the dealer was the one that installed the motor, not sure if that’s how it always works. I assume they set it up with the bottom of the transom in line with the bottom of the cavitation plate, but I have not verified this yet.

I’m fine if my setup is only capable of 23-24mph, I just don’t want to be missing anything that would hurt the performance. I’ve called the dealer with my issue and they disagree that anything is wrong and told me that the 14 x 13 prop that I’m running is my best bet.

Going back to the question about having the correct prop, has anyone compared an extra cup prop to one of the same size without the extra cup? I see Fryfigter has an extra cup 14 x 13, but is that what you started with?

BTW, some extra info on my boat that I see others are giving, It’s a two toon with 25” tubes, no strakes and I was testing it with the top up.
My was installed by the dealer. Also, the prop was supplied by the dealer. He states the "extra cup " is designed for pontoons.

2011 2275 GCW. 115 yamaha with 13.5 x 15. 30 mph at 5900 rpm. Runs great! Changed from 13x 19 that dealer put on. New prop is solas ss.

I finally made it up north over the weekend and found out the motor is already mounted all of the way down (top hole). I guess it’s back to messing with the prop.

Back