New 2022 tritoon

dieselman

Reaction score
Hi all just picked up our new 2022 SX-22 with SPS from the dealer also ordered a new trailer tandem #4500 lb. there is no support for center tube and the dealer said Bennington does not need to support the center tube. Am I being screwed or is this true I want my facts straight before going in screaming the trailer was $ 7000 and if I didn't need a Tritoon trailer just a Pontoon trailer I could have saved $2000 Thank You

You need a TRITOON trailer. Period. 7k for a pontoon trailer is a lot of money. I have a "deluxe" version 6500# tritoon trailer with all the bells and whistles that set me back about $7500. The non deluxe tritoon version is about $5500. Yacht Club. I think the pontoon version is around $4500.

Last edited:
You definitely need support for the sps center toon, or any full length center tube. The 3/4 express tube might could go without support.

My first trailer came with only 2 bunks. The dealer quickly added a few brackets and the center bunks to form the "cradle" for the center tube. No biggie!!!

Bennington told me this directly with respect to both the trailer and the boat lift that supporting the outside toons only was more than sufficient, as they are designed that way. I put the center bunks on anyway just for peace of mind and easier centering when loading and unloading. $500 or so was worth it to me.

On a technical level, I have heard second hand what your dealer and TomS above are saying. Bennington told me something similar on not needing to support pontoons with lift or Sea Legs. I spoke to someone in 2019 as we switched from tritoon cradle bunk lift & canopy system (supported) to Sea Legs (unsupported).

In my mind I see two issues with your trailer situation: a) support concerns over time and b) the price for what you got.

A) If going a very short distance on a smooth road to just drop my boat in and pull it out annually, I wouldn’t worry about it from an engineering/support perspective. However, if towing all the time to use it, and/or towing any sort of distances, I would 100% have a 3 bunk tritoon trailer. I would never feel comfortable towing distances or regularly unless all three bunks were supported.

B) Finally, at the price you paid, I would also 100% expect a 3 bunk tritoon trailer. Otherwise, it absolutely seems like they are screwing you in that you are paying for a very nice tritoon trailer in price, but not receiving it. Like you mention, and BigD echos, you can save a couple thousand if just buying a bi-toon trailer. So also regardless of engineering specs, IMO you are overpaying for what they delivered to you in a trailer.

When we bought our Mid-America trailer from www.trailersforpontoons.com, we added the Triple tube kit ($350). I also took our 2275RCW directly to them in Elkhart, and they developed a customized version for ESP hulls as the "Stern Extension for Tri-Tube" option ($200), which is now offered in their catalog for a variety of brands.

Thanks guys for the replies the boat trailer is only for winter storage but if I had known it didn't need the center support I could have saved $2500. Since we bought a brand new boat we wanted a brand new trailer and when I picked it up yesterday I never noticed it without a center support till I put it in. All good thanks.

I picked up my new bunks today, now I just need to put some type of material on top of them so it's not aluminum to aluminum. Thoughts, links?

Attachments

• IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 18
Wood? Or trex deck boards? Yes, both thicker than what you need, but that thickness allows you to countersink the fasteners.
You could buy 1/4” neoprene (try McMaster-Carr), but the fastener heads might nick the toons.

Wood? Or trex deck boards? Yes, both thicker than what you need, but that thickness allows you to countersink the fasteners.
You could buy 1/4” neoprene (try McMaster-Carr), but the fastener heads might nick the toons.
The way these are built, I can fasten them under the botton and not have any bolts on the top. It's a little harder to install but I think worth the extra effort. I'd really like a material that I can just stick or glue to the tops.

Back