New Battery Suggestions.

patcraver

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2 year old battery that is dead, it won't charge and I had it tested and they said it is shot. I just have a single battery setup, can anyone recommend a good quality battery? I really am interested in the AGM batteries that are becoming very popular. I have the F150 Yamaha. Thanks in advance, I searched the forums but mostly found information for dual battery setups.

Check your warranty.

The battery surely has a warranty of more than 2 years.

Plus 1 on warranty 

Another vote for checking to see if it's covered under warranty.  If not, the best battery I've found so far is the Interstate MT7 AGM.  I have two of them in my diesel truck and a couple of buddies have them in their pontoons.  They aren't cheap but are easily the best I've run across.

After paying a premium on Interstate batteries, and having 4 of them only last 3-4 years, I now go with Theisen's heavy duty.  I think it's around $80.  Time will tell, but tired of paying $40-50 more and not have them last any longer that others that have bought cheap ones.

After paying a premium on Interstate batteries, and having 4 of them only last 3-4 years, I now go with Theisen's heavy duty.  I think it's around $80.  Time will tell, but tired of paying $40-50 more and not have them last any longer that others that have bought cheap ones.
How long ago did you use Interstates?  I only ask because they originally were very good then something happened around 2009-2010 (or close to it) and they had major issues.  I'm not sure if they changed ownership or what but the quality went downhill.  They've seem to have got their stuff together now over the last couple of years and are much better than they were.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say three of them were bought about that timeframe.  One was obtained later under warranty and was a replacement for one that was maybe bought in 2009 and failed after 3-4 years.   That replacement failed in less than 4 years (this winter).  It may have been bad timing for me, but it would be hard for me to go back.  I hadn't bought Interstate prior to the batch that all were junk.  Always bought Diehards prior to that.

Yeah I really liked them, then hated them and now I probably like them better than ever before.  Now, I had problems with Diehards.  I had bought a couple of the Gold and they didn't last very long in my Nissan 300ZX.  This was back around the mid to late 90's.  I've had AutoZone batteries and they've actually lasted quite long.  Go figure.  I had heard there's only like 3-4 battery manufacturers and everybody just puts their names on them.  Not sure how true that is but it came from a reliable source.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good idea, I didn't realize it could be under warranty. The battery actually is an Interstate cranking battery.

Just checked with Interstate and it's only covered for 12 months.

Just checked with Interstate and it's only covered for 12 months.
Yeah I think their basic batteries are just covered one year.  Their MT7 AGM's are covered for 3 years for the marine version and 4 years for the standard version.  And that's not prorated.  If they fail within that time frame they are replaced for free.  I'm not associated with them or anything.  I just did a lot of research before I bought my last truck batteries.

Sears Platinum.  This is what I recently bought for my Jeep because the capability to run the winch when needed. It's not cheap. I paid $250.00 plus tx, but when it's time to replace the boat batteries, these are going in. Full 4 year replacement, no questions asked.

Sears Platinum.  This is what I recently bought for my Jeep because the capability to run the winch when needed. It's not cheap. I paid $250.00 plus tx, but when it's time to replace the boat batteries, these are going in. Full 4 year replacement, no questions asked.

I have 2 Group 31 Platinums, which are actually Odyssey batteries. Unfortunately, I've heard they quit offering them for whatever reason. I had one crap out after 3 years and they replaced it without issue.

It should be covered under the Bennington warranty.

I also did a ridiculous amount of research when buying batteries for my boat. I chose Northstar. They are a tppl, thin plate pure lead, battery and can be discharged far more than any other battery on the market, and still be recharged with no ill effects. I have 3 group 31's that are isolated to the stereo that are not connected to the motors charging system. I have a group 27 that acts as my starting / house battery. They run my boat stereo for a day on the lake with no problem, I just plug it in when I get home. Although I do have to rearrange where people sit sometimes!  3 of those on the starboard side, plus all the amps, sub, ME, and another big adult and you can notice the boat has a slight lean! Haha. I would recommend doing some research on them, Odyssey also makes a pretty decent tppl product as well. Not all AGM's are created equal.  Plus the Northstars can be left for up to two years without needing a charge, now usually our ice up here does finally melt off, but if ever it doesn't,  my batteries will still be ready for the following spring!

Thanks everyone. Derrick I was looking at the NorthStar NSB-AGM-27M Battery, do you think that would be good for a single battery application? Will the AGM charge ok with the alternator on the F150?

I can't speak for the Northstar battery but the 150 alternator will have no problem charging an AGM.  I remember reading something a few years ago about an issue charging an AGM with an outboard but the last stuff I've read says it's no problem at all.

Back