New Boat Owner - Electrical questions

BC in NC

Reaction score
Hello there. New 2018 SSRX Tritoon owner here. So far loving it!
Ive never owned a boat, but am pretty handy, built motorcycles, old cars etc....
I am working on a couple mods and looking for some advice......

First up, the USB/Stereo input.
I only use a bluetooth connection and don't need this, would rather have a USB power connection (which I know this plug currently does not provide power).
Anyone delete the current set up and switch to a power supply?

Second, I am adding LED lights to the inside of the boat and looking at power sources.
The cigarette lighter (again don't need) is a perfect 12v power source, but who wants to look at the plug and wires. In my van I tapped into my lighter wires under the dash and spliced to power a satellite radio years ago and still running strong. Wires are hidden and the lighter is still functional for alternative use if needed.
Any reason why this wouldn't work on a boat?
If that works I could split my lighter power under the helm for my LED lights and use a lighter plug in USB converter (if the Stereo input replacement solution is not possible).

My second option is just cap the lighter and install a new lighter under the helm to power my LED lights.

Hopefully this makes sense!

Also have the Fuel gauge issue I have read about. Shows tank is full and its not. I tested the sender, float is free, when i unplug the sender it drops. Assuming the sender needs replacing. Called dealer today and they sending someone out to look at it since its under warranty.

**Update - dealer came out and put in a new gauge after testing the sender. ****

Attachments

• 9C5A4C4D-6EE5-4F44-B013-D9DD64A6FF3A.JPG
    9C5A4C4D-6EE5-4F44-B013-D9DD64A6FF3A.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I can't offer a lot of advice (actually any) on the wiring, but will be curious to see any update on your fuel gauge issue. Just heard from my dealer who is supposed to be delivering our new boat that this is the only outstanding issue (fuel gauge not showing correct or consistent fuel level).

I was told that the fuel gauge is very inaccurate and to use the fuel consumed by engine and do my own figuring. It seems to be off by about 4 to 8 gallons. I can see my fuel tank and I may put some marks on it for 5-10 gal etc….

On the led lights, you should have some unused toggle switches on the helm that you could jump 12 volt power to if it already doesn't have power on it. Then hook your lights to the switch.

I was told that the fuel gauge is very inaccurate and to use the fuel consumed by engine and do my own figuring. It seems to be off by about 4 to 8 gallons. I can see my fuel tank and I may put some marks on it for 5-10 gal etc….
Hmm.. that seems like an odd response to me. This will be my first Bennington, but I had a South Bay for nearly 15 years before and never had any issue with fuel readings. I have to admit, if the dealer tells me that I need to visually check the fuel level in my tank to keep track of this it could be a deal breaker on my side. My last boat was a fraction of the cost of this one so I certainly wouldn't want to take a step backwards. I'm supposed to get an update today so I'll keep the board posted..

I am the one who said, I would visually check levels. The dealer said the engine fuel usage is accurate. The dealer said the fuel gauge is not accurate, because it’s a basically like a float system and the level of the boat will affect readings. Therefore if I have a 50 gal tank and motor gauge says I used 7.3 gal then I do the math and I have 42.7 in tank. My gauge will say 38-41 or so. Any gauge that works on a “level” in a tank will have inconsistencies depending on the angle of boat - fore/aft and starboard/port tilts. The only truly accurate method is tank quantity minus fuel burn.

Somr fuel tanks are square/rectangle and this could impact the guage if it based on a float.

On the led lights, you should have some unused toggle switches on the helm that you could jump 12 volt power to if it already doesn't have power on it. Then hook your lights to the switch.
Thank you! I was going to tap into the LiveWell Switch since I do not have one.
Power should be there right? or jump power over from another source?

I am the one who said, I would visually check levels. The dealer said the engine fuel usage is accurate. The dealer said the fuel gauge is not accurate, because it’s a basically like a float system and the level of the boat will affect readings. Therefore if I have a 50 gal tank and motor gauge says I used 7.3 gal then I do the math and I have 42.7 in tank. My gauge will say 38-41 or so. Any gauge that works on a “level” in a tank will have inconsistencies depending on the angle of boat - fore/aft and starboard/port tilts. The only truly accurate method is tank quantity minus fuel burn.
Gotcha-that makes some sense. I am probably a bit sensitive to the issue since I am on week 3 of waiting on delivery and this is now the issue holding it up!
FUEL GAUGE ISSUE - Dealer came out and put in a new gauge and tested the sender. All fixed!
That’s great news!

Thank you! I was going to tap into the LiveWell Switch since I do not have one.
Power should be there right? or jump power over from another source?
Live well switch should have power and you should just be able to connect off there and power your lights. Then check out New Wire Marine and get a new rocker cover that has the label you want on it.

Live well switch should have power and you should just be able to connect off there and power your lights. Then check out New Wire Marine and get a new rocker cover that has the label you want on it.
Awesome thank you again! I already got a new cover coming from there.

Back