New Boater in NE Ohio

Tee_PLX

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! New to the forums and new to boating in general. Just wanted to say hi and see if any other members frequently boat on Portage Lakes? My wife and I just bought our first boat and we are loving it so far. The kids can't get enough of the water. Looking forward to many memories on the lake.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bennington! I am out in Portland, Oregon but wanted to welcome you to forum!

Tee_PLX - We boat on PLX too. First time boat owners as well. We've kicked the idea around for a couple years and decided this year was the year with the quarantine. Our son's travel baseball team fell apart so we have plenty of time this year. We knew a pontoon was the way to go as we have a big family, two coon hounds and a lot of friends! Portage Lakes is about 15 minutes from house so we're on the boat all the time. In fact yesterday was the first day we didn't boat after 9 days straight.

Tubing, swim hole, speeding, putting around looking at the houses and of course frequenting the local restaurants on the water. I'm looking into adding a diving board too! The family absolutely loves the boat. It's served it's purpose of bringing family and friends together.

Since you have a Bennington you purchased it through Boat Masters. They claim to be one of the largest Bennington dealers in the country. If you look at how many are on the Lakes I can believe it.

Where are you docked or so you tow it and drop it in? We're docked near the Upper Deck. There's a cove under the bridge with about 8 new Bennington's in the slips. One is ours!

Hope to see you out sometime.

VitiminJ - Our decision process was similar. We cancelled our planned trips this year due to Covid and allocated those funds to the boat. We have been on the water so often that we had to schedule the 20 hour maintenance after having the boat less than two weeks!

We did purchase through Boat Masters and I have no complaints so far. We were lucky and got a dock at the Boat Masters Main Street docks near Nauti Vine. We frequent the restaurants as well, so I am sure we will run into each other at some point.

If you see a black 20SLV with a ski tow bar and a Yamaha 90 VMAX SHO come say hello!

I haven't logged in here in a long while, but am really happy to see a couple people from the PLX. I also have a Bennington that I bought new from Boat Masters in early 2019. Look for a dark metallic gray SXP swingback with a Yamaha 115 and a duck flag on the back.

I haven't logged in here in a long while, but am really happy to see a couple people from the PLX. I also have a Bennington that I bought new from Boat Masters in early 2019. Look for a dark metallic gray SXP swingback with a Yamaha 115 and a duck flag on the back.
I'll keep an eye out. Boat masters is putting us in the water on April 24th.

Today is one of the best days of the year. Boat Masters put my boat in at lunchtime!
So you're one of the crazy ones. John told me he had two that wanted in the water in March. Besides fishing boats. I think we're going to move up our date. This weather is too nice.

I am one of the crazy ones, and the other one is a friend of mine that had his put in yesterday. :)

I wanted it put in last week for St. Paddy's Day, but they couldn't get it to me in time. (To be fair, I didn't give them much warning)

Hey Everyone! New to the forums and new to boating in general. Just wanted to say hi and see if any other members frequently boat on Portage Lakes? My wife and I just bought our first boat and we are loving it so far. The kids can't get enough of the water. Looking forward to many memories on the lake.
What kinda of WOT speed do you get with your boat? Do you have the under deck wave shield?

I am the other "crazy one" mentioned by Kevin in his post about putting boats in water early. We just got our Benny back (from Boat Masters) last Thursday. Glad to see a few other Portage Lakers on this forum! We have lived on the Lakes for 3.5 years and love it (and our Bennington SSBSXP) more every day.

I am the other "crazy one" mentioned by Kevin in his post about putting boats in water early. We just got our Benny back (from Boat Masters) last Thursday. Glad to see a few other Portage Lakers on this forum! We have lived on the Lakes for 3.5 years and love it (and our Bennington SSBSXP) more every day.
I love it. I’m calling BM tomorrow to move up our date. Lol. Great weather we’ve had in Ohio. Maybe we’ll bump into each other year.

So BM was not able to move up my date. I'll be in the water tomorrow. Rain or shine I'll be making the rounds on the lakes. Next year I'll plan to be in a couple weeks earlier. Or god willing we'll have a lake house next year. Who knows. No new houses in a month or so. Well there is one by the Nauti Vine. Not very nice though.

Good luck with your launch! We hope to make it out tomorrow as well. Not the warmest day, but it'll do.

I agree about that house by NV. Looks like it needs serious updating from top to bottom.

It's a walk out lower level. The lowest room has water damage about 10 inches up the wall.

Back