New buyer

Fatboy05

Reaction score
Hello Folks, I have been a mono hull boater for years and am planning to buy our first Tri toon. I guess we are looking at smaller versions 21-24, used. I was surpised to see that there was almost a unanimous agreement on another thread that the S line ( we looked at a '21 SBSX) was severely lacking. Is the center pontoon the issue or is it the general build quality? I noticed that the L line jumps up quite a bit in price and I assume ride quality? We are boating on the Gulf side along the bays and inland water way and along the beaches not too far out. Thanks in advance!

Hello Folks, I have been a mono hull boater for years and am planning to buy our first Tri toon. I guess we are looking at smaller versions 21-24, used. I was surpised to see that there was almost a unanimous agreement on another thread that the S line ( we looked at a '21 SBSX) was severely lacking. Is the center pontoon the issue or is it the general build quality? I noticed that the L line jumps up quite a bit in price and I assume ride quality? We are boating on the Gulf side along the bays and inland water way and along the beaches not too far out. Thanks in advance!
What do you consider lacking ? Construction is the same across the lines , furniture ,floor plan and electronics are options. My 1st Bennington was a 22ft SLX , the only things it lacked was due to me not ordering my last boat 1st .

There seems to be some debate about the express model in the S line. I am just breaking the ice here. I have no opinions formed yet. I think I did read the the L R Q lines had heavier construction that obviously comes with a price. That's fine. There was also something about an S Line Express having a shorter center on the tritoon that affects the ride quality. Our plans are day cruising mostly in the bays and along the beaches.

In the past floor supports were 24 inch on center on the S line ,16 inch on the other . For the past 6-7 year or so all 24 inch on center .
Most here will not recommend getting the express package .
Thank you. Is the X in the SXP "express"?

Thank you. For example, is the "X" in the "SXP" express?
No it is not . Express is one of the toon packages . Express , not a full length center tube , SPS ,3 full toons SPS Plus 3 full length heavy duty ( Plus is for basically higher HP or additional passengers ) ESP Center Toon is 32 inch and ESP Plus
If you were not aware ,here is a link to the Bennington Boat Builder page .

No it is not . Express is one of the toon packages . Express , not a full length center tube , SPS ,3 full toons SPS Plus 3 full length heavy duty ( Plus is for basically higher HP or additional passengers ) ESP Center Toon is 32 inch and ESP Plus
If you were not aware ,here is a link to the Bennington Boat Builder page .
Thanks again. I appreciate the link and your time. So, on the SXP, That is the S Line, higher HP and more weight capacity, what is the X for? I will look for the SPS model. We are looking at a 2020 SXP 23', 200hp or an SXSB 21' 2021 150hp. Based on your post, I can maybe rule out the SXSB. Should the SXP be a solid consideration? I don't want to do this twice, but I have a budget. I could maybe squeeze to to an L Line 23' same everything else for 20K more. Is there that much of a difference?

Previously I had an SPS , it will take up to a 200 HP , I currently have an SPS Plus, it will take up to 250 HP.
If you are considering new , you will never buy HP for less than at your initial time of purchase .
Here is a Cheat Sheet with model designations .

Previously I had an SPS , it will take up to a 200 HP , I currently have an SPS Plus, it will take up to 250 HP.
If you are considering new , you will never buy HP for less than at your initial time of purchase .
Fantastic. Thank you.

You're Welcome. Good luck with your choice . If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask . The members here are very good at spending others people's money.

Thanks again. I appreciate the link and your time. So, on the SXP, That is the S Line, higher HP and more weight capacity, what is the X for? I will look for the SPS model. We are looking at a 2020 SXP 23', 200hp or an SXSB 21' 2021 150hp. Based on your post, I can maybe rule out the SXSB. Should the SXP be a solid consideration? I don't want to do this twice, but I have a budget. I could maybe squeeze to to an L Line 23' same everything else for 20K more. Is there that much of a difference?
Spend some time with the online builder, you can learn so so so much! I was probably 80 hours in before making a decision and not including time at the dealer!

The X in the model represented upgraded finishes, in particular the cushions which I felt were a major improvement when my dealer had both I could compare, it was not even a question for us, as we are loungers (and there went the budget), plus other items.

As Jack notes, the build is now the same. Again, the website shows the differences between Normal, Express, SPS, ESP tube configuration and various add-on performance upgrades. The Express will not perform as well as the SPS and ESP, though I have read both good and bad points about the performance (certainly WAY better than a normal 2 tube Pontoon, vs the normal TriToon - ???). It all depends on how you are going to use it and under what kind of conditions. If you are pulling tubes, boards or in big bodies of water with storms / choppy conditions....then the express is not the best choice. If you have teens and are active, the SPS or ESP is a MUST.

I say let us build a Benny for you....you have a spare $175K,,,right!? LOL.

In the SXP: S = model, XP = Premium package.

The X is not a solo designation, it is paired with the P…XP. It meant that in 2020 the SXP had many of the ”options” that the former G model line had.

Thus, in 2020, the SXP is the equivalent of the newer L-model. To buy and SXP is the same as in today’s model lineup of buying a L model. Does that make sense.

The express tube is a hull configuration, and it does come with compromises compared to a full length tritoon. I’d suggest for your usage to go with a full length tritoon hull. Which HULL does that SXP or SXSB have?

I also replied with a lot of details in another thread a few minutes ago, so look for that reply too for more info.

If it helps, I have a 2017 24’ SSBXP with SPS tirtoon hull and a 200 HP Mercury Verado pro motor. It’s a great handling and powerful boat. Since mine is an SXP with the SB (swingback) layout, if I were to replace it today, the equivalent model would would be a LSB (L model, SB - swingback layout). Make sense?

Because Bennington changed up some of its 2 entry model lineups in 2021, it sometimes gets confusing when shopping and comparing current models with 2020 and earlier models.

Fantastic. Thank you.
In the SXP: S = model, XP = Premium package.

The X is not a solo designation, it is paired with the P…XP. It meant that in 2020 the SXP had many of the ”options” that the former G model line had.

Thus, in 2020, the SXP is the equivalent of the newer L-model. To buy and SXP is the same as in today’s model lineup of buying a L model. Does that make sense.

The express tube is a hull configuration, and it does come with compromises compared to a full length tritoon. I’d suggest for your usage to go with a full length tritoon hull. Which HULL does that SXP or SXSB have?

I also replied with a lot of details in another thread a few minutes ago, so look for that reply too for more info.

If it helps, I have a 2017 24’ SSBXP with SPS tirtoon hull and a 200 HP Mercury Verado pro motor. It’s a great handling and powerful boat. Since mine is an SXP with the SB (swingback) layout, if I were to replace it today, the equivalent model would would be a LSB (L model, SB - swingback layout). Make sense?

Because Bennington changed up some of its 2 entry model lineups in 2021, it sometimes gets confusing when shopping and comparing current models with 2020 and earlier models.
This is the reply that I received from the dealer on the question .

Attachments

• IMG_1289.png
    IMG_1289.png
    210 KB · Views: 12
Back