New Guy with questions on 20 or 21'

Oldchuck

Reaction score
Been around boating for a long time but new to the toons. In process of selling a 21' center console Kencraft and going to a toon for a more pleasant ride for my wife and not wanting to bust chop going offshore any longer. Just not as much fun as it was and now live on a lake. My question: I would like to know the honest speed of various boats with modest power. Looking at a 2 tube 21 with a 115, 20 SPS with 115 or a 21 elliptical with a 115 or could just to a 150 as I have a 150 yamaha on my current center console an love the motor but looking for compatible speeds with the same 115 Yamaha motor. The boat would mainly be just me and my wife but occasionally up to 5. Looking for a realistic top and cruising speed for a light loaded boat.

We're new to the pontoon era also. We have a 2018 22ssbxp (2 logs) with a mercury 115 pro xs. With 4 onboard, half a fuel load, and a medium/light load, we hit 30mph (5500 rpm) with a more still available. Our boat likes to cruise at 20-23mph @ 4200 rpm, 4-5 people and a heavy load (we keep everything onboard you imagine).

We had similar questions when we were in the market for our toon. If your going to do any water sports or just want a smoother ride the Yamaha 150 with power steering, the SPS package and extended aft deck is the way to go. I spent a lot of time reading this forum. The one piece of advice that sticks with me is, “Buy your last boat first.” Believe me it’s much cheaper that way. Bennngton makes a great boat and btw welcome to the forum.

We're new to the pontoon era also. We have a 2018 22ssbxp (2 logs) with a mercury 115 pro xs. With 4 onboard, half a fuel load, and a medium/light load, we hit 30mph (5500 rpm) with a more still available. Our boat likes to cruise at 20-23mph @ 4200 rpm, 4-5 people and a heavy load (we keep everything onboard you imagine).
Welcome to the forum. You are going to have a great summer on your new Bennington.

Thanks for your comments.
Dannie, I could not find your model but I would assume the tubes are the same length and size as the regular 22 so the speed should be the same between models of equal weight. If I could cruise at 23 then both of us could live with that.
Was thinking I would have to the SPS or Elliptical to do that. Is there any theory as to the longer the pontoon the faster they go? Was wondering if the 21 with 12" longer tubes would be any faster than the 20 with 12" shorter tube even if the 21 weighted 200 lbs more with the same power? To get the 115 on the 20 have to go to the SPS . Any theories?
Have had in the double digit boats in my life but first toon. Have rationalized that do not need to cruise in the mid to high 30's and would rather have the comfort of a toon. Maybe my last boat...

Would anyone here rather have a 2 tube than a 3?
As Mike said, I do not want to have to worry about trading up to get what I want so I want to research as best I can and I am sure I am following the path that many of your took. My path may be a tad different as i do not haul over 5 folks and usually just the two of us and do not do water sports any longer so not looking for anything over a 21. Have had vessels up to 32 but found that I used the larger boats less. I have a dock and lift now so things are different but need to keep the beam at 8.6 and length under 23 for my existing dock and touchless. I have the Yamaha 150 on my current boat and love the engine..

I do appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.
Never too old to learn..
Chuck

If you aren't looking for hard cornering and water sports, but wanted a great ride with speed to spare, the twin ellipticals with a 150 and power steering would be a wonderful setup. The great ride and extra buoyancy from the twin ellipticals and perfect value spot of the 150.

Welcome to the fun house!

Bulldog,
That does sound like a sweet set up for a 21 and I do like and know the 150. Not sure of the cost of the Elliptical vs the SPS but I have gleaned that the Elliptical are faster in a straight line than the other performance packages but just do not turn as sharp or handle as well as the SPS or other performance features. If Dannie got over 30 mph and 23 mph cruise from regular twin tubes and 115 hp than a 21 with Ellipticals with a 115 should perform even better. When looking at Bennington's performance sheets a 22 footer with a Yamaha 115 with Ellipticals went 34.5 so a 21 which is a couple of hundred pounds lighter should do better...Is there any flaw in that logic?

Just trying to remember what the minimum recommended hp with the twin ellipticals was.

Not sure on minimum as the catalog did not say but there has to be a point where there is not enough power to utilize either the Elliptical or SPS. The max hp on the 21 is 150 for the Elliptical and the SPS for the 20 SPS 115 is max...The Elliptical is not an option for the 20 unless you go up to their G series and then you can get a 150 due to the weight according to the Bennington catalog. However at that point I think I would go with the 21 and get longer tubes...

I’m hooked with my triple toon, was out today on 1 to 1-1/2’ chop today and she rode like a Cadillac! I would personally look at 21’ with SPS and a 150. Easy to handle boat, and turn like a glass boat and easily run up to 40mph maybe more. I think you can get center toon storage as well which we wouldn’t do without. Not that ellipticals are bad and go great in a Straight line you still won’t get the ride the triple has. I gave a guy with ellipticals a ride on my boat and he couldn’t believe the difference. Just my 2 cents! Best of luck on you journey!!

Thanks guys. You have been extremely helpful. Getting into the new realm of pontoons is much different than the typical powerboat and there is more to learn if you have never been around toons. I know each of you had some of the same questions at one time and I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out.
It seems that most here have 21 foot or mostly 24's as the 20 does not seem to be too popular. Also it seems that folks jump to the 150 over the 115 as well. I can understand as I have always said the NO one ever complained about too much power and perhaps I should look at these the same as glass boats and not a leisurely stroll around the lake...
Just a different mindset as most around me who have Toons have a 19-21 foot with 75-90 hp engines and cruise at high teens or around 20..

Find what fits your budget. You will be happy with whatever you get. People on the forum do tend to favor the 150 much more than the 115, and the sps setup over the others, but your usage appears to be different. Whatever you get your ride will be much better than the 75-90 hp toons that are around you. Everyone will want to ride on your toon. And trust me, after spending 20 years on a fiberglass boat and converting to a pontooner, you and your wife will LOVE it! :)

Rick,
I believe those or true words.
We went out in my CC and tried to decide what cruising speeds we could live with and we found out that anything at 22 should be more than fine. Given that, I feel confident that either the 20 with SPS or the 21 regular 25" tubes both with a 115 would be fine for that. Boating is not an everyday event for us as I have other interests so I am sure that we will be pleased with whatever we get after 50+ years with glass V boats. I like a boat at the dock for when I think I might want to go out and the Bennington seems a cut above most of the toons around..

Recently spoke to someone who added a third toon. They couldn't believe the difference in the ride and fell in love with their boat all over again. Any chance you can get to a dealer and try a few out to see what really suits your needs?

Ugleeual,
Seems like your Tri may go few more miles an hour than Dannies with two tubes however his is a 22. Both seems to go over 30 and again load may be different.
i would have thought there would be more difference but would imagine yours will pull better for water sports due to the better grip of the SPS. I wonder if the longer tubes of the 22 disperse the weight better and are actually faster than shorter tubes?
I Would guess that it depend on how you were loaded. In Bennington's performance section they get 34.5 from the 115 with the 22 footer with Elliptical hulls but would imagine again that the Ellips are faster in a straight line..
Thanks for letting me know as those are the questions I have have on the 20. There is not a real difference in price between the 20 & 21 but really do not need more room than a 20 but if a foot longer tube is faster then would go that direction.
If we continue that train of thought then a 21 and SPS and a 150 would be the best of both worlds but there is some point you have to say "stop"....

Michiman,
Sure the ride is great and need to ride in both to decide. Better decide now than after I buy...

3 tubes, power steering and a 150. Everything else is just fluff.

Back