New Owner of a 2275GCW

Gulam

Reaction score
I am about to be a new owner and wanted to know if it is possible to find out using the model and S/N what are all the specifications and options are pertaining to our boat. This is a new 2016 boat. It would appear that there is some conflict about information I read on the Bennington website about the ESP package, what it includes as standard and and the must items (automatically added when one builds a boat identical to ours - it seams when one selects an ESP package with a 150HP motor, bennington automatically adds the must have options - which make absolute sense) and what the dealer is saying is included on our boat that has the ESP package and what he edits out makes little sense to us. I need to find out before it is too late and I take possession of the boat as money has already been paid. Thank you in advance.   

The HIN (hull identification number) would tell you if you call Bennington and give them the number.

The dealer should be able to show you the equivalent of a "window sticker" detailing all the options on the boat. If they are unwilling, there is something fishy going on.

Thx I'll check with them one more time in the morning. Or better I'll visit personally so I can take any "name plate" data. Is the  HIN the same as serial number that the dealer invoice notes? 

From a production standpoint, there is an order number, a production number and a hull ID number (the equivalent of a car's VIN).

Unlike a car's VIN, there's not much to glean from it except the last few numbers that identify the month and year built. You can't really decode it for options.

A HIN will look like this: [SIZE=11pt]ETWD****D616. That boat was built in April 2016.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I know, it defies logic. But that's how it works.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I'll keep at it tomorrow morning and hopefully will know something from Bennington themselves by lunch time. It is really a very nice boat, just what is supposed to be included with the ESP package for use with a 150hp motor is the unknown. Web says larger elliptical center tube that can store extra fuel, a hydraulic assisted steering etc but the dealer says while it is has ESP package this boat does not have the extra fuel storage nor the hydraulic assist steering. 

..... but the dealer says while it is has ESP package this boat does not have the extra fuel storage nor the hydraulic assist steering. 

The fuel tank size may not be a deal breaker. The steering, however, requires close attention. A 150 will have SeaStar hydraulic steering standard. Look for "electric power assist." This may show up on the option list instead of hydraulic steering.

Do not buy an ESP boat without power assist steering. There are plenty of threads here to keep you busy until you can call in the morning.

Keep us posted. 

Honestly, your dealer's lack of knowledge concerns me. A lot.

You may or may not hear from the factory in a timely manner. Remember, it's their job to build boats. It's a dealer's job to know all about them and answer your questions.

Good luck.

Hi, thx for the responses. Attached is a pdf showing what the dealer shows as included options. Please take a look. It begs the question Would Bennington sell a boat with ESP package that has no hydraulic assist, nor an electrical power assist, nor an included SeaStar? 

View attachment Scan0002.pdf

Yes, they would sell an ESP with a 150 and no power assist unless you order it specifically. That's why it's an "option" with ESP, though you rarely see one without it. Anything more than 150, the dealer would be strongly urged by Bennington to add it.

Hi, thx for the responses. Attached is a pdf showing what the dealer shows as included options. Please take a look. It begs the question Would Bennington sell a boat with ESP package that has no hydraulic assist, nor an electrical power assist, nor an included SeaStar? 

View attachment 1493

SeaStar hydraulic steering is standard with the 150 Yammy on an ESP hull. The lack of electric assist is troubling, however.

Search "Alicedream" to follow Ray's saga. His SPS boat wasn't fitted with electric assist steering and it took him quite an adventure to get it retrofitted.

I was told by another dealer that it's not surprising to find boats built without assisted steering, especially in places where boat price shopping is prevalent. Some dealers don't want to have to compete on price when they have a boat with $2800 assisted steering option. So they leave it off, hoping the buyer doesn't notice. Except you have been put on notice.

If you've not yet read this thread, now is the time. 

Bennington website informs the power distribution panel is required with the electronic steering. The boat in question has this distribution panel. Is there any other reason why this panel would be included assuming the assisted steering is not included?

Difficult to speculate, especially since it comes with just one battery.

Best case scenario? It has the electric over hydraulic steering and you will have purchased one fine boat.

Next best scenario? It does not have assisted steering but your dealer is willing to add it for +/- $2800.

Worst case scenario? No assisted steering and your dealer won't add it. Run, Forrest, run, to another dealer.

And if your dealer says "no one with a 150 gets assisted steering, tell 'em Randy in Michigan does! ;-)

Best thing I ever did on a boat!!!

I shall, now that I have a bit more knowledge about the subject. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. 

I can't understand why anyone would order a boat with ESP and not get the power assist.Even if the person was a dealer, because you will not achieve the full benefit of the ESP performance capabilities with out it. I know, I enjoy it every chance I get!

Everything on Benningtons website says so as well and indeed one cannot even build such a boat without either a hydraulic assist with a power distribution panel or an electric power assist on top of the first two. 

I am hoping as least the hydraulic steering assist is there at minimum and that the  person at the dealer is simply confused. Further hope, is that Bennington will provide the 'as built' detail with all options in this specific boat when I call them first thing this morning.

Thx. 

Back