New Owner With Some Questions

ChuckP

Reaction score
We've had our 2275GCW for 5 days now and love it, perfect combination of sportiness, performance (well can never have to much power) and luxury. But a few things have come up that I need some answers on:

1) We have Merc Optimax 200hp, seems to run great but it has a noticeable vibration that can be felt in the boat between 1600-2400 rpm. doesnt seem to matter the throttle position and is smooth above or below that. It was like that from our test drive on, but seems to have become a little better now but still doesnt seem right. Could it be a prop issue?

2) What prop would you put on a 2275GCW with a 200hp 2 stroke? Dealer installed a SS "turbo 1" prop 14.25x17 3 blade. It has a great initial hole shot but after a second or the rpm shoot up and the boat seems to take a few seconds to really catch up speed-wise. At WOT it spins about 5300-5400rpm

3) This is my first boat with dual batteries, do you normally leave both batteries on or just alternate between then 2 every so often? And do both batteries charge when running even if they are turned off at the switch?

4) probably more for TB, how excatly does the speedo work? It says it "GPS Driven" but it seems to take time to catch up to actual speed when running or accelerating. Is it really basing info from GPS satellites like a handheld unit? I have taken a portable GPS on the boat yet to compare, its been raining the last 2 days and probably again today too

5) Can a boat with a raised helm be converted back to a non-raised helm "easily"?

6) Where is the factory subwoofer installed? Or for anyone who has had a system installed where did you mount your sub?

1. Sometimes heavy stainless props have hub vibration issues at low RPMS. You can try a different hub with rubber.

2. 15x15 Enertia part # 48-898992a46 Is the recomended prop from Bennington

3. I use one at a time and save the other as a backup unless you are running alot of electonics when you need both.

4. Yes it uses GPS speed from satellites

5. Dont know

6. Dont know

Last edited by a moderator:
1) So the hub the prop slides on is replaceable?

2) What kind of performance difference would you think I'd see with the 15x15? I really dont know a ton about props. What is max RPM on the OPTIMAX about 5700rpm? So I have to much prop as it stops at 5300-5400 rpm.

4) With that being the case Id expect to see relatively linear (-ish) acceleration. but the speedo will for example accelerate up to 25 and sit there for 10 seconds and then jump to say 27mph at WOT

As far as question #3. When your battery switch is on 1 battery and not both only one battery is gettung charged / discharged. I know the alternartors on the outboards are not that powerfull, so if it was up to me i would Make sure you dont have any battey sucking drains on your system and then i would run them both always. That way both batterys are getting equal charge all the time. You can install a solonoid that seprates the batterys when the key is OFF so if your worryed about a draw that could suck both batterys down your safe.

Our factory sub was installed under the helm.

For question 5, why would you want to remove the raised helm? Just curious if after having it you don't like it or some other reason?

1) So the hub the prop slides on is replaceable?

2) What kind of performance difference would you think I'd see with the 15x15? I really dont know a ton about props. What is max RPM on the OPTIMAX about 5700rpm? So I have to much prop as it stops at 5300-5400 rpm.

4) With that being the case Id expect to see relatively linear (-ish) acceleration. but the speedo will for example accelerate up to 25 and sit there for 10 seconds and then jump to say 27mph at WOT
1. Yes

2. The 15x15 has a bigger diameter than the prop you have on now so it should not slip as much and give you more push. The top RPM with probably be the same because of the lower pitch. This might pick you up a couple of MPH as well.

3. The GPS speedo are very sensitive. I loose signal on mine all the time.

I would like to see a respone to this as well. I am 6'1" and still wish I had done the raised helm as I find myself sitting on my leg to raise myself a bit for a better view.

For question 5, why would you want to remove the raised helm? Just curious if after having it you don't like it or some other reason?

You can install a solonoid that seprates the batterys when the key is OFF so if your worryed about a draw that could suck both batterys down your safe.

Our factory sub was installed under the helm.
Thanks for the info on the solenoid, Ill have to look into that. Under the helm was were I was thinking of installing a sub too, good to know.

1. Yes

2. The 15x15 has a bigger diameter than the prop you have on now so it should not slip as much and give you more push. The top RPM with probably be the same because of the lower pitch. This might pick you up a couple of MPH as well.

3. The GPS speedo are very sensitive. I loose signal on mine all the time.
1) where can I get new hub with rubber, or get my prop check? Ive only got 3 maybe 4 weeks left this season will it be OK to run it as-is until then?

2) This prop is definitely slipping. I was under the impression you wanted the rpm at WOT to hit top rpm for the motor (5700)? But as it sits Ive seen 44 on the speedo with 2- people and 3/4 tank of gas

3) Good to know, thanks!

I would like to see a respone to this as well. I am 6'1" and still wish I had done the raised helm as I find myself sitting on my leg to raise myself a bit for a better view.
I guess I dont really have enough hours to make a truly educated statement, but as of now I dont think I like it that much. Ive already kicked it a few times (my own clumsiness :p ), I dont feel that I can see over people in the front that much better than in our last Bennington (we wont have a fully loaded boat that often anyway) and I kind of feel like im on a perch, above everyone when driving. In all fairness Ive only driven a boat with a raised platform once before we got ours and we had our 1850GL for 5 years so Im just not used to it yet. It will probably grow on my and Ill love it in the long run, but as of now I would've saved the $511 and skipped the option. But I bet that the vast majority of owners with raised helm's really do love them. But dont get me wrong, I still LOVE our new GCW!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there's a good idea, "Any of these fine Bennington owners whom have the raised helms, chirp in and let us(me) know your thoughts on the matter!" I know one of my thoughts was the ole stubbing the toe idea! Haha thanks!

Derrick

Chuck, talk to your dealer about your prop concerns, it is the dealers responsebility to set the boat up, that includes prop selection. If you are not happy with it, let them know. As far as rpm, yes you want to get close to max rpm with a light load, say 2 people and 1/2 tank of fuel. I also wonder if your engine is mounted down far enough, you say the prop is slipping, not likely on a new prop, more likely the prop is ventilating, sucking in air, if the motor is not far enough in the water. Another factor in all this, where are you setting your trim? Up too much will cause ventilation. The best place to start is a conversation and a test ride with your dealer ;)

The Enertia I have on my 250 Merc does not slip a bit, and pulls straight thru the whole range, an awesome prop in my opinion. If your boat is sticking at a specific speed to 10 seconds or so, then accellerating, what are the RPMs doing? Kinda sounds like a speedo problem and not a boat stuck at one speed problem. Use a hand held GPS or phone to chart speeds. My sons phone will show a graph of your whole trip, speed and map included. Pretty accurate from what we have seen.

I looked at the raised helm, did not see an advantage for me, and it sure looks like a toe stub hazard waiting to happen.

Well supposed to be 55 and rainy tomorrow but 63 and sunny Sunday so Ill take it out then and play around some more and bring my GPS and phone (not sure I have GPS service on my Blackberry though). But Ive tried both with the trim all the way down and the trim up just a hair past the bottom mark on the gauge. I already have an email in regarding the vibration, so Ill see what they say and maybe get someone to come out. It also seems to ventilate at cruising speeds if the trim gets anywhere near the "1/4" mark on the trim gauge, but not sure of thats normal or not? On our Crownline it had a useable range from "0" to around "3/4".

Back