New S series helm

First post by a prospective Bennington owner - - the "new" helm caught my eye, but I learned that it is actually an upgrade to "premium" from the standard 20SSRX.  Unfortunately, the upgrade also includes seating changes that I don't care for, and Bennington is unable to build a la carte.

Any comment regarding the ergonomics of the throttle mounted on the vertical face of the console?

Thanks.  We're looking forward to our first (and last) whack at pontooning.

It's location hasn't kept me from hitting full throttle! Welcome to the forum!

Not a big fan of the square look but do like the placement of the fish finder because the old one is in a bad spot. Yeah it has a cup holder and a phone holder! ;)  

Not sure about the placement of the throttle because on the river you need to be able to stand to navigate at times to see debris in the water especially getting closer to town or going through the locks. It seems it would be virtually impossible with it sitting down that far or you would be bent over constantly.  I guess part of that would be height of the driver.

Not sure about the instrument cluster either I think the old one is a bit more stylish. I guess preference would be key here and from what I am seeing I would prefer the old style myself except for the depth finder position. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a comprehensive picture, but I love my helm and dash layout. Unlike Steve, we will never use it on a river, so that sort of standing and throttling hasn't really been a concern or crossed my mind.  

Our "R" has the throttle in a similar spot and I love it. Sitting or standing. I do not like the vertical one.

Not a comprehensive picture, but I love my helm and dash layout. Unlike Steve, we will never use it on a river, so that sort of standing and throttling hasn't really been a concern or crossed my mind.  

Yeah on the river you have to stand especially when you lock through the dam. It is amazing the size of the logs that come out from the doors when they open and for some reason they seem to be drawn right to the boat!! :blink:  Not sure why that is but it is a tough maneuver job to get though the door area. I guess it comes down to preference and what you like. Still not a fan of the box look but hey that's just me.

Is that sunshine I see? Looks like the ice is off the lake, too. LOL

Ours is this.

I'll be doing some customization to mine when it returns.  Referencing the above photo, the cigarette lighter and USB charger are located to the left and right of the stereo.  That freed-up space (where the cigarette lighter and USB port were) has the quick release bracket for my Garmin 547xs.  Over to the right of the steering wheel (where the fish finder is), I have my VHF radio installed.  Above the throttle controls in that flat space I have a tiny external speaker for my VHF radio.

I really struggled with where to locate the 74SV as it's quite large.  I even considered having the helm console modified to include a separate customized enclosure with windscreen above the analog gauges to mount both Garmins, but that was going to be nearly $1,000 so that quickly got dropped.  It will fit perfectly where the stereo is today, but then I was at a loss as to what to do with that.

Enter the Dual MGH37BT.  This new radio is Bluetooth controlled, and has an Android app to control it, so having physical access to it isn't important.  I could actually mount it inside the console - completely hidden from view - as the Bluetooth app wouldn't require line of sight, but I'd prefer to be able to access it without the BT if necessary.  I'll also relocate the cigarette lighter and USB charging port in that area as well.

Photobucket working again. Here is my helm layout:

Wow, is that nice and shiny!  Can see the floor mat pattern in the reflection.  I remember when mine shined like that.... it was right after I bought it LOL

I'll be doing some customization to mine when it returns.

Your customization sounds great. Hoping to see some pictures when you get it back, and all the customization is complete.

Back