New Tidewater trailer Brake help

jrochin

Reaction score
So a couple weeks ago, I decided we might want to take the boat up to Lake George, so figured I should order a trailer.  I gave my local Tidewater Trailer dealer the specs of the boat and asked them to order the trailer.  They gave me a price, I gave them cash.  3 weeks later the trailer arrives, go down, hook up the truck, drive the 2 miles home, get out to check it out, and notice only the front axle has brakes.  PA state law says is should have brakes on both axles, I remember them telling me that so assumed it would have them.  I called and left a message, and will stop by tomorrow to see what the options are.  I am hoping they can just add the brakes (at no charge to me).  I will likely just tow as is for now, as my "tow vehicles" are an F350 dually and F250 so not to concerned about stopping power for my short haul from the slip at the marina to my house getting the boat cleaned and ready for Lake George.  If they want to send it back to the manufacture, I'm going to be pissed. 

Should just be a bolt on deal unless they skimped on the rear axle.  If your dealer is a PA dealer and put an inspection sticker on it he better hope you're a nice guy.... That mistake could cost him his inspection station license and/or dealer license if he doesn't play nice with you. The state can be real pricks about that, I know of at least 2 dealers who lost licenses. Pa law is anything over 3k or tandem axles need brakes on every axle and state inspection. Hopefully just a little hassle and not a big deal.

Was curious about Tidewater trailers as they have been mentioned on a few times,  while I was reading here's what I found. 

Caliper%201.jpg

Dealers are required to sell trailers that comply with the brake laws of the state where the trailer will be registered.

This is a trailer safety issue that cannot be ignored and one on which Tidewater continues to lead.

For the safety of our customers and regardless of your state law, Tidewater Trailers will not manufacture any trailer without brakes in excess of 3100# carrying capacity. Plus all trailers with brakes have brakes on all axles standard.

While we recommend you keep the standard equipment, there are brake delete options your delaer can select for those of you registering your trailer in states where the brake laws vary.

Was curious about Tidewater trailers as they have been mentioned on a few times,  while I was reading here's what I found. 

Dealers are required to sell trailers that comply with the brake laws of the state where the trailer will be registered.

This is a trailer safety issue that cannot be ignored and one on which Tidewater continues to lead.

For the safety of our customers and regardless of your state law, Tidewater Trailers will not manufacture any trailer without brakes in excess of 3100# carrying capacity. Plus all trailers with brakes have brakes on all axles standard.

While we recommend you keep the standard equipment, there are brake delete options your delaer can select for those of you registering your trailer in states where the brake laws vary.

Do you have a link to this?  I'd like to send to my dealer?  

Found it and sending it to my dealer in the morning.  He did say he was not sure about needing brakes on both axles, but would order the parts and have the installed, no problem.

Sounds like he'll fix you up. Just my two cents but if he's a PA dealer he should of known better, if he charges you labor for the install I'd tell him to stuff it, parts are parts and you'd of paid for them either way. 

I agree, however, the way tidewaters website is worded, they should eat the cost of the parts and pay the dealer labor.  Their website states, They ONLY build trailers with brakes on both axles.  Either way, looks like the dealer is going to take care of the situation.  I stopped by yesterday to have some adjustments made to the trailer and they mentioned most of the parts were in stock, once the parts on order got in they would get it done right away.

As long as the dealer fixes you up without anything out of your pocket... Chalk it up to being more knowledge next time. I haven't inspected (PA) my boat or snowmobile trailer in years cause all I do is drive out of state and I'm a little anal with trailer maintenance. Last thing I want is to be sitting along side the northeast extension scratching my head figuring out what to do next! 

Back