New tips for new owner

Truthinthedetails

Reaction score
I have owned a Gibson houseboat for several years and sold it last week. Immediately turned around and purchased a 2575 RCW with Yamaha 250 VMax SHO and ESP package. The dealer is retrofitting a double Bimini for me and it will be ready for its maiden voyage on the Tennessee River (Pickwick) next weekend. Never owned a pontoon boat before. Two questions:

1. Can I run the boat at full speed with both Bimini tops down? Or should I stow them first?

2. My Gibson did not have a windlass so I would tie off the anchor to a deck cleat. I would then use the engines and the boat hull to dislodge the anchor from the muddy bottom. Can I do the same with my Bennie? How do you anchor?

1) The bimini spills enough air that you don't have to worry about it. If you have them both open at top speed, which will be somewhere in the mid-40's if you're propped correctly, and you begin to feel uncomfortable with it for whatever reason, just slow down or drop one or both biminis. Yeah, I know... That's Captain Obvious territory, but sometimes it's useful to hear someone say it out loud. Human nature I guess.

2) I just pull my anchor up by hauling in the rope manually. I suppose whether or not that works depends on your water depth, lake bottom composition and anchor type. Oh, I also have a length of chain between the rope and the anchor. 2 or 3 meters... I forget which because I so rarely anchor. I doubt that affects anything other than the effort needed to haul it up, but I thought I should mention it.

I'm just 60 miles upriver of you at Pickwick. If we stop, we're either floating around or tied up to somebody's boat dock. I have not anchored a boat in 25 years. You'll just be able to take your pontoon places you wouldn't attempt in your houseboat.

For example: If you go to "THE WATERFALL" on a Saturday afternoon in the Summer, just do like everybody does--run the pontoon boat up on the beach a little. That's really some kind of place to visit.

I bet your new boat is absolutely gorgeous. My friends on the Bassmaster Elite fishing circuit love their Optimax 250's, but they say nothing but nice things about the Yamaha SHO's.

I'm just 60 miles upriver of you at Pickwick. If we stop, we're either floating around or tied up to somebody's boat dock. I have not anchored a boat in 25 years. You'll just be able to take your pontoon places you wouldn't attempt in your houseboat.

For example: If you go to "THE WATERFALL" on a Saturday afternoon in the Summer, just do like everybody does--run the pontoon boat up on the beach a little. That's really some kind of place to visit.

I bet your new boat is absolutely gorgeous. My friends on the Bassmaster Elite fishing circuit love their Optimax 250's, but they say nothing but nice things about the Yamaha SHO's.
Thanks Admiral. I'm right at the dam in the Pickwick State Park Marina. You're right about the waterfall......not only would I have to burn a large amount of fuel to get there......it was too crowded in that cove for me to try and maneuver a 40' houseboat and then set an anchor. I also like anchoring at Goat Island (if you know where that is) and cruising the Tom Bigbee right where it starts near Aqua Yacht Harbor. I'm excited about that Yamaha VMax SHO.

Back