New to boating, 1st Bennington

Yes, use the recreational gas which is non-ethanol. if you must use regular unleaded, add Marine Sta-bil. Not regulat Stabil, but Marine. Marine Sta-bil has something in it to eliminate the moisture issue.

Our closest marina with dockside gas is like yours Pilotnate: has ethanol, but I believe an additive. The other two marinas with lakeside gas are the same way. I’d have to haul and gas at my dock ethanol free rec. fuel to avoid ethanol completely. Not doing it when it is otherwise more convenient.

I’ll take my chances with what the marina is selling lakeside. I think if it were truly a problem, hundreds of boaters on this lake would be up in arms because they’d have problems. We live at our lake house in the summer, and so our boat is dockside and used pretty regularly. Thus, gas doesn’t sit stale in our tank too long very often.

You could also weigh how often you’ll use your boat. If you will be using it regularly, I absolutely don’t see using your marina gas as an issue. However, if it will sit for LOOOOONG stretches unused, then that might be more of an issue over time.
VikingStaff - you don't use any additives with the ethanol gas? I see Mercury has some they recommend when using ethanol gas.

VikingStaff - you don't use any additives with the ethanol gas? I see Mercury has some they recommend when using ethanol gas.
We don’t. I believe the marina does some kind of additive if memory serves me right. In the off season, our dealership puts in additives before storing our Bennington and our snowmobiles in the off season.

That said, I have NEVER had an issue with ethanol gas in any recreational vehicles. Even with my yard tools and lawn tractor...never an issue. I have a 18 year old John Deere lawn tractor I bought new. It has always used regular unleaded gas pump gas, no additives, and just sits in my garage during the Michigan fall to spring months. I do oil changes every couple years and that’s it. About every 5-6 years I take it in for a professional “servicing” in the winter. Starts and runs like new to this day.

Thus, I know people worry a lot about it, but I’ve never experienced the issues others fret about so I don’t worry about it. That said, in season, our recreational vehicles don’t sit unused for long . We practically live at our lake house in the summer, so the boat is used regularly. It rarely goes a week unused, and can regularly be used almost daily during some stretches. And in the winter our snowmobiles never go more than 2 weeks without being used, and when they are we go through a couple tanks of gas each week/weekend.

Thus, I think the regular use makes a big difference for us. We don’t have gas going bad or sitting and absorbing much water (with the potential exception of my lawntractor...but even then never an issue in 18 years).

I might be looking at it naively due to never having problems ourselves...? Just out of curiosity, do you have any link for what Mercury recommends. I like being informed, even if I am not totally acting on that information.

Last edited:
I fuel my boat at the slip. 5 gal cans, 1.75oz of Yamalube in each can with E10 89 octane from the Chevron station .

Most people at my lake run E10 all day in their boats without any additive, and it’s probably fine if they run that fuel down before it has a chance to breakdown. So I feel fine with my setup and not getting rammed by the local marina and $5 gas

We don’t. I believe the marina does some kind of additive if memory serves me right. In the off season, our dealership puts in additives before storing our Bennington and our snowmobiles in the off season.

That said, I have NEVER had an issue with ethanol gas in any recreational vehicles. Even with my yard tools and lawn tractor...never an issue. I have a 18 year old John Deere lawn tractor I bought new. It has always used regular unleaded gas pump gas, no additives, and just sits in my garage during the Michigan fall to spring months. I do oil changes every couple years and that’s it. About every 5-6 years I take it in for a professional “servicing” in the winter. Starts and runs like new to this day.

Thus, I know people worry a lot about it, but I’ve never experienced the issues others fret about so I don’t worry about it. That said, in season, our recreational vehicles don’t sit unused for long . We practically live at our lake house in the summer, so the boat is used regularly. It rarely goes a week unused, and can regularly be used almost daily during some stretches. And in the winter our snowmobiles never go more than 2 weeks without being used, and when they are we go through a couple tanks of gas each week/weekend.

Thus, I think the regular use makes a big difference for us. We don’t have gas going bad or sitting and absorbing much water (with the potential exception of my lawntractor...but even then never an issue in 18 years).

I might be looking at it naively due to never having problems ourselves...? Just out of curiosity, do you have any link for what Mercury recommends. I like being informed, even if I am not totally acting on that information.
Great insight! We move from winter Quading to summer Boating - so always use additive for the storage factor (friends that don't often have issues with gummy carbs). I will look for the source I found regarding the Mercury / Quicksilver additives 1,2 and 3.

Stabilizers will help prevent phase separation in your fuel (ie ethanol absorbs water and separates from your gasoline) if you let corn fuel sit.

Additives are insurance if you don't know where the gas dock fuel is coming from.

I run Techron Marine instead of Ring Free plus to keep my bases covered. My Yamaha service manager swears by the stuff. It's probably unnecessary for folks that run through a lot of gas at WOT year round, so in that case it could be considered snake oil. I do it for peace of mind.

It's not cheap so I would do your research and make an educated decision, lots of conflicting opinions out there.

I just topped her off yesterday at our marina. They only sell non-ethanol fuel that is pre-treated with additives... so there is zero need for any additional Stabil or SeaFoam. Paid $4.09/gallon but I don't care... I knew boating was going to be an expense. It's the best gas, 50 yards away from my slip (so convenient), and pumped by the nicest people. This is Steve... Steve told us when NOT to come for gas... at the end of the day when the 15 rental boats come back to the dock and need to be refueled before the next day. Great advice!

20210424_204942.jpg

Anyone buy a portable fuel pump to keep at the lake?

Looking at the DuraMax Flo n Go, holds 14 gallons. So should be light enough to load and unload from truck after filling and getting down to my dock. Just wondering if anyone has ever used vs there 5 gal cans

I just topped her off yesterday at our marina. They only sell non-ethanol fuel that is pre-treated with additives... so there is zero need for any additional Stabil or SeaFoam. Paid $4.09/gallon but I don't care... I knew boating was going to be an expense. It's the best gas, 50 yards away from my slip (so convenient), and pumped by the nicest people. This is Steve... Steve told us when NOT to come for gas... at the end of the day when the 15 rental boats come back to the dock and need to be refueled before the next day. Great advice!

View attachment 29697
This. We rent a dock so we pay the extra cost. Same deal 50 yards from our dock. I think ours is $4.75 actually. It was last summer.

Anyone buy a portable fuel pump to keep at the lake?

Looking at the DuraMax Flo n Go, holds 14 gallons. So should be light enough to load and unload from truck after filling and getting down to my dock. Just wondering if anyone has ever used vs there 5 gal cans
I've kicked this idea around too. But I'm a little nervous about driving the kids and dogs around with 14 gallons of gas in the van! Plus our slip is side by side, no dock between us and the other boat. My fuel cap is between the boats. So now I'm rolling the can onto the boat and hoping it doesn't drip on furniture or floor. The reviews on Amazon are so-so at best. A lot of them mention leaking. I guess I'll continue to pay the extra cost until we get our own dock.

I was considering a couple gas cans and this. Haven’t tried it but looks promising.

I was considering a couple gas cans and this. Haven’t tried it but looks promising.

Thats a cool idea.

In the end im going old school. I have 6 Costco 5 gal cans. Im removing the eco adapter and going to super flow mod them, add a vent hole, and get 5 gallons into my tank in 45 seconds.

Last edited:
Back