New to me GCW - questions

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Hello all,

Finally found a Bennington within my budget.   As a multiple previous boat owner had seen the GCW a buddy had and found a used one - had wanted the tritoon. But couldn't find at the time a toon I liked for under 30k or it was underpowered    - found mine for 27k no trailer with 150 hours  

2011 GCW Pontoon with strakes and 150 Yamaha four stroke   

I usually buy my boats used from individuals, but this one was with dealer   A Bennington Dealer and a 2016 just like mine tritoon is listed for 60k so that was not an option    

Ok my questions. 

Dealer told me it was under skinned and it is not - after the weather warmed I swam under boat last week and no skin    Do I have recourse with Dealer and how hard should I push this?

2nd, I asked the Sales guy to add a Stainless prop and he did for cash on the side    Picked up the performance I was looking for but get this, with less than 8 hours I spun a hub under easy operating conditions without a doubt not hitting any structures    What should I do about this, a spun hub on new Yamaha Relliance prop?

3rd, after market 3rd toon - should I add the toon?  If so, anyone done this and how much  $.   Did you get added performance?  As of now boat his 39 mph GPS 

Thank you in advance for replies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely talk to the dealer about the aluminum under skinning! He told you that it had the option and it did not. You definitely want this feature on your boat. It improves your ride by preventing the water from hitting the cross members and causing it to surge. He might owe you some money or maybe he can install it for you........

A spun prop can happen at anytime regardless if you hit anything or not. Plus it was a cash deal on the side so there's no recourse with the dealer. You might want to talk to the guy who made the deal with you.......

Link has added the center tube to his boat. Hopefully he'll chime in and tell you the cost and work involved.........

Good luck........

Thanks Kahuna, 

Any idea what a dealer charges for adding the under Skinning?

Do you have round tubes or elliptical tubes on your boat?

With that speed I'm guessing elipticals. I'd fight for the underskin.

My thoughts....adding a 3rd toon will only give you more weight & stability and will slow you some as you already have lifting strakes. If you add a 3rd, you can also increase your horsepower to compensate for lost speed. Sounds kind of expensive too me. ⚓

WOW -- 39 mph gps with twin tube and 150 hp yamaha is very good and not worth messing with for the additional cost imho. Comparing this to my previous 22 ft tritoon/strakes with 150 Yamaha which would go 40 mph max on a good day with 2 people and some gear.

Tubes are round

the prop is SS 14.5 15 pitch Reliance.  

Should gain 2-3 kph with skin WOT

I added the express toon package and the underskinning, cost about $2500 and in addition to a better WOT more importantly gave me a much better ride.  Well worth it for an aftermarket expense but if I were buying new would not do express would only consider SPS or ESP

I added the express toon package and the underskinning, cost about $2500 and in addition to a better WOT more importantly gave me a much better ride.  Well worth it for an aftermarket expense but if I were buying new would not do express would only consider SPS or ESP

Dealer do the work?

Dealer telling me Express Tube addition will not improve ride or overall boat by less than 50% and trying to get me in new boat....respect the Salesmanship, but spending 60k when I think I can add express tube for 2-3 k is not even close.   

He did say he would make the prop right and get new one at no cost to me - says he will send mechanic to install at my dock - so he says. We shall see.   

Dealer telling me Express Tube addition will not improve ride or overall boat by less than 50% and trying to get me in new boat....respect the Salesmanship, but spending 60k when I think I can add express tube for 2-3 k is not even close.   

I beg to differ. Ride improves 1000%. As Link testified, not to the SPS or ESP level, but a great improvement for the investment. Just don't expect an increase in speed. Some got it, others did not. I was one of the latter. 

I beg to differ. Ride improves 1000%. As Link testified, not to the SPS or ESP level, but a great improvement for the investment. Just don't expect an increase in speed. Some got it, others did not. I was one of the latter. 

That's what I wanted to hear....thank you.   I'm going for wave shield amd express tune add on.  

Make sure your dealer orders the correct express tube for a G-model. It will have brackets on 16" centers. The S-models are built on 24" centers and the brackets will NOT fit your boat.

Don't ask me how I know this.....

Also, be explicitly clear as to which underskinning you want. The "wave tamer" is NOT full underskinning.

Don't ask me how I know this either.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with GoldenRod, make sure your dealer orders the part using your hull id

Agree with GoldenRod, make sure your dealer orders the part using your hull id

Maybe, but my dealer HAD the HID......

So Randy, have you noticed a difference in rigidity coming from an R to an S given the larger cross member spacing? I think you might be one of the few that have come down in series. Curious to hear your thoughts.

So Randy, have you noticed a difference in rigidity coming from an R to an S given the larger cross member spacing? I think you might be one of the few that have come down in series. Curious to hear your thoughts.

I've not used it in rough conditions yet, which is where I would guess the difference might appear.

I have noticed more side-to-side movement (or rattling) in the top assembly which I attribute to the fact that the G-series and up have a more robust fence system.

Dont take these as criticism in any fashion. Just things I have noticed. I view the S boat with SPS/150 as I would a muscle car. Back in the day, one could get a 455 in a full-sized Olds. One could also get one in a Cutlass. The smaller Cutlass was the performance car and in some ways, had more performance than the bigger car. Best analogy I can come up with.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Make sure your dealer orders the correct express tube for a G-model. It will have brackets on 16" centers. The S-models are built on 24" centers and the brackets will NOT fit your boat.

Also, be explicitly clear as to which underskinning you want. The "wave tamer" is NOT full underskinning.

Don't ask me how I know this either.....

Dealer sent guy with replacement prop for free

they are working up price on tube add and skin 

New 2016 loaded GCW 56,730 plus tax

I'm confused with this thread. I thought the dealer said the boat had the wave panning on the boat. So why is a price being worked up along with the express tube? Did your sales invoice list out all the options on the boat? If so, I'd be showing the dealer the invoice.Or was it just verbal sales talk? Lastly, I hope your going to enjoy the boat this summer and do the work in the off season. Best of luck with everything.

Back