New to the boards

12-Ringer

Reaction score
I am new to these boards and new to Bennington ownership. This isn't our first toon, but our first Bennington. We stumbled across an amazing opportunity to purchase a brand new 2019 XPS that was showroom kept for most of the all of the 2019-2020 season and most of 2020-2021, however, was moved to the yard late fall of 2021 as newer boats arrived. As a result there are some small mold/mildew spots on the seats, primarily where the playpen cover touched the back/top of the seats. We have plenty experience dealing with this issue on marine vinyl but obviously no experience with Simtex.

Of course we've read the manual and directions, discussed with sales/retail team where we purchased and scoured the interwebs and just can't seem to find consistent advice. I can tell you the Dawn/Ivory and soft brush won't cut; we've tried. We went to a local boat detailer whose exact statement was...."you're way overthinking it, treat like you would any vinyl and be sure to rinse thoroughly....there are a few bleach free agents, to try and he recommended 303 mold/mildew cleaner blocker, clr mold mildew remover BUT quickly offered any will do (including those with buffered bleach agents likes Starbrite's mildew remover) without damaging the fabrics."

In reading I've learned Simtex has basically been around since 2017, so I can't imagine I am the only one wishing to remove mold/mildew.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

I am new to these boards and new to Bennington ownership. This isn't our first toon, but our first Bennington. We stumbled across an amazing opportunity to purchase a brand new 2019 XPS that was showroom kept for most of the all of the 2019-2020 season and most of 2020-2021, however, was moved to the yard late fall of 2021 as newer boats arrived. As a result there are some small mold/mildew spots on the seats, primarily where the playpen cover touched the back/top of the seats. We have plenty experience dealing with this issue on marine vinyl but obviously no experience with Simtex.

Of course we've read the manual and directions, discussed with sales/retail team where we purchased and scoured the interwebs and just can't seem to find consistent advice. I can tell you the Dawn/Ivory and soft brush won't cut; we've tried. We went to a local boat detailer whose exact statement was...."you're way overthinking it, treat like you would any vinyl and be sure to rinse thoroughly....there are a few bleach free agents, to try and he recommended 303 mold/mildew cleaner blocker, clr mold mildew remover BUT quickly offered any will do (including those with buffered bleach agents likes Starbrite's mildew remover) without damaging the fabrics."

In reading I've learned Simtex has basically been around since 2017, so I can't imagine I am the only one wishing to remove mold/mildew.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Hi there Joe. Welcome to the forums, and if so inclined, share some pictures and specs. We always enjoy taking a look at everyone’s new to them boats.

There is not an XPS Bennington model. Is that a typo in your post? Maybe an 2019 SXP (S-model Bennington, Premium trim level)? Not pertinent to your issue, but just checking.

Here is a link in our forum to the generic cleaning that might be useful to you on what specific products are approved. You don’t want to do anything that might void any warranty on your furniture down the road. Both 409 with water or Fantastic with water are alternatives beyond the Dawn dish soap. Have you tried them yet? Take a look over the link and PDF below for manufacturer recommended cleaners.

Simtex Cleaning Instructions.

Also, here is a PDF with info and instructions:

Attachments

• Bennington Simtex.pdf
    461.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Jeff, yes it is the SXP, sorry for the typo. We have reviewed all of the information that you have shared, but what is a bit confusing is that neither fantastic or 409 are particularly effective against the mold. We will be trying both this week, but have never had reasonable results from either in our past.

It is somewhat disappointing that the boat wasn't properly detailed before delivery. We purchased in February and took deliver on 4/21. We had some upgrades done to it....basically is a 2019 SXP fishing model, upgraded to Yahmaha 150 Vmax SHO, 9" Simrad and upgraded two fishing chairs to captain's chairs, so have three captain's chairs.

We are very meticulous with the boat. It is stored in a carport all year and we trailer it to the private ramp (3/4 - mile) each use. The staining is just a little disappointing and I'd doubt would bother most others.

Will post a few pics shortly ( we didn't take any specifically of the stains)

Welcome to the forum 12 Ringer! We have had a few threads discussing cleaning of the Simtex fabric but I don't remember anyone having mildew/mold on it. Contact your dealer or possibly the manufacturer of the Simtex fabric for expert direction. I just read the Simtex cleaning directions that Jeff posted. Under step 2 or 3 it states that you can use a 1:4 mix of bleach and water on it. Then rinse with clean water and dry. Didn't know until now that you can use a bleach/water solution on Simtex. That is what I used to use to get it off vinyl upholstery. Let us know how it works out.

We’re 2.5 hours from the boat, so I can’t go out after work and experiment. I’m hopeful we figure it out.

These Boards have been a great read, spent most of the day checking out different forums/sub-forums. Seems like a great group. I have been a moderator and administrator for several discussion forums, currently still a forum moderator for ArcheryTalk, so I have a slightly unique perspectives when it comes to discussion boards. These boards are very welcoming!!

We’re 2.5 hours from the boat, so I can’t go out after work and experiment. I’m hopeful we figure it out.

These Boards have been a great read, spent most of the day checking out different forums/sub-forums. Seems like a great group. I have been a moderator and administrator for several discussion forums, currently still a forum moderator for ArcheryTalk, so I have a slightly unique perspectives when it comes to discussion boards. These boards are very welcoming!!
I have always felt it is one of the best forum groups I have been a part of. Great members. Great moderators and admin team. Friendly, helpful, and pretty darn consistent.

I am glad you are finding it a great place, with an archive of great threads and posts. So much information tucked away in here. I learn new stuff and get great ideas all the time in this forum.

I saw something somewhere in these boards about a product that polishes and protects….think it was something like second source or second coat or something of the sort….was I going crazy? Anyone have an idea of what I’m rambling about (lol)

Was it this?
I've used this on my QX and all the different surfaces and it worked very well.

Attachments

• A83A0F55-3FA6-4A17-BECE-90EE951ECF48_4_5005_c.jpeg
    A83A0F55-3FA6-4A17-BECE-90EE951ECF48_4_5005_c.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 28
Probably…that looks like it.

Does this work to keep the toons shined up? We will be using the boat in salt water and keep in in dry storage. It never spends a night in the water. We would like to keep the rooms looking as good as they do now for as long as possible…..any ideas?

Our previous boat was tough to keep the toons looking good.

Does anyone know how to set the Go7 to display the actual fuel level in the palette?

This is what I am getting and I can’t figure out why? I thought I had the correct setting selected.

This is on the screen
9FF9A09E-B2F8-4825-88ED-57362941B9B9.jpeg

This is the setting that I selected…
0D974A77-0B2E-454A-8CFF-B2C16D760C91.jpeg

Thanks in advance

any input on keeping the toons looking like new....
Do you have anything like the Sharkhide on them? That makes whipping them down and keeping them clean MUCH easier. Also, does it sit in water all season, or up on a lift or trailer? Not having it sit in the water when not in use goes a super long way as well.

Does anyone know how to set the Go7 to display the actual fuel level in the palette?

This is what I am getting and I can’t figure out why? I thought I had the correct setting selected.

This is on the screen
View attachment 32671

View attachment 32672

Thanks in advance
Is the Simrad connected to any digital display wiring to the motor? If not, I don’t think you will get any of the motor related data.

Now…I am not absolutly sure with what exactly needs to be connected to also get fuel level on the Simrad. I believe you need a NMEA 2000 wiring network for all of it…? If so, that would be a separate thing and not included with just having the Simrad on the boat. Do you have that sort of aftermarket network wired into everything?

There are some experts in here that do and I am sure they will respond.

At the risk of sounding like a moron….I don’t know….it’s the second trip in the new boat and when we had the on the water intro, the rpm’s, feul, and trim gauges all showed, now none of them are showing ??!

Is the Simrad connected to any digital display wiring to the motor? If not, I don’t think you will get any of the motor related data.

Now…I am not absolutly sure with what exactly needs to be connected to also get fuel level on the Simrad. I believe you need a NMEA 2000 wiring network for all of it…? If so, that would be a separate thing and not included with just having the Simrad on the boat. Do you have that sort of aftermarket network wired into everything?

There are some experts in here that do and I am sure they will respond.

This is on the screen
View attachment 32671

View attachment 32672

Thanks in advance
I feel your pain! I have a G07 too. I am just getting started with pairing it with my iPhone and desktop via the Simrad apps. Anyway what you are showing us via the photos are what you want displayed from the upper right area pull downs from the G07 display. It is everything on the right SOG Depth etc. You want to find another menu from the front screen. My install is with a Yamaha and the dealer said that menu did not give me anything. I believe the front screen menu is found from the upper left of the original screen. It has Nav, Instruments, Your motor and others, I am not on my boat so can not give you step by step. Pick instruments and go from there. I was messing around with it several weeks ago because I thought I had a 1/2 tank but the pump clicked off at 1/2. I found a setting or settings that needed to know how many gallons your boat holds etc. Sorry I can not help more at this time, but the screens you are showing are the outputs of the settings. Also remember that the key needs to be on or the motor running for the gauges to show their status.

Back