New toon. Do I have the correct prop?

Bob225

Reaction score
I have a 2016 24 SPDX twin 25" toons no strakes with a Yamaha 115.  With 3 people and top down I get 27 at 6,200 rpm.  Figured it was good enough but at the higher speeds it seems to want to cavitate (very slightly).  While cleaning the motor in the water over the weekend I noticed the prop was 13.5 x 12 - k (aluminum).  Does this sound like the correct prop?  If possible I would like to get a few more mph.

Bob

Doing a quick search you should be between 5300 and 6000 RPM.  Sounds like you are spinning a little fast.  MPH will vary slightly so be more concerned with hitting the proper rpm range of the motor.  Unless you're racing, 2 mph isn't going to matter is it?  I know, I know, we are all concerned with how fast we are going but you're not going to tub or ski that fast, right?

Yeah I'm ok with the speed, I assume with additional people I would complain that it drags then.  I want a spare so I thought maybe I would change it up to be slightly faster. 

You might pick up a little speed but you really should look at the rpm's.  I'm certainly not the expert but the cavitation is probably from the higher rpm.  My recommendation is to talk with the dealer and get that rpm down to the recommended operating range.  Did they prop test it prior to delivery?  Most of what I have read is 1 - 2 people on board with a half of tank of fuel.

I pick up 1.5 mph in calm water versus the chop I usually have on our lake.  I to am looking at a spare prop.  I currently run @ 5500 rpm @ WOT.  I would like to hit between 5700 and 5800 if possible.  My recommended range is 5-6K and I'm actually happy with the 5500 but I still need a spare prop.

Good Luck!

Your boat speed is about spot on with others with same boat/motor. Since you are looking to have a spare anyway, I suggest going with a 13 pitch. It will reduce your WOT rpms by about 200. Might get an extra mph or 2, but don't get your hopes up.

Please report back.

Dealer said I am pretty much spot on with the prop I have and would not recommend changing to something else.

Back