New Toon Owner

scully

Reaction score
Bought a new 2018 Bennington 21 SL with strakers two half weeks ago with a Yamaha 115 SHO with stock alum prop 14 x 13p, have 8hrs on the motor. Was expecting a little more speed out of the high output, running with 4 people and 1/2 tank of gas right around 31MPH on GPS. Get's up on plain in a hurry but was expecting 35 -37 MPH. Should i try a higher pitch prop and change to stainless?

Honestly, that seems like a pretty good clip for your set up (assuming pontoon vs. tri-toon). That said, what's your WOT RPM? As for going stainless, I don't think you'd see any improvement.

Right now i'm getting about 6,200 RPS @ WOT. May be once the motor is broken in I'll get a few more MPH. I'm used to doing 63MPH in my bass boat.

Scully, are you in the recommended WOT RPM range for your engine? As I'm sure you're well aware, every increase in pitch results in an approximate 200 decrease in RPM. Coming from a bass boat, I'm sure you feel like you're standing still.

I agree, even with the strakes I think you’re in the ball park for sure at 31mph, I’d try it by yourself and see if there’s much difference. My ex-father inlaw was sponsored by champion boats years ago and the SOB might of well had wings!!! Welcome to the world of pontoons!!

Yes the tech told me max RPM is right around 6,400 - 6,500. Thanks for the input.
Hmm, not sure you want to increase your pitch given where you're at. Perhaps someone else will be able to provide you with further insight.

Scully, I am not surprised at that number with 4 people, what are your numbers and RPM when you are on boat alone

Back