New Tritoon. Yamaha 200 or 250?

I have a 200hp v6 Merc Verado on a 24’SSBXP SPS. I am 40-43 mph with 1-3 people and half tank or less of gas. 37-38 mph with a FULL load of people and fuel. IF the Yamaha 200 hp was v6, with all that added torque all the way through your power range, I’d say stick with it. The 100lbs of boat + extra weight of SPS+ is going to offset some of that 50hp gain.

However, I am a bit less sure with the v4 200hp vs. v6 250hp Yamaha. For me it may be less of an overall horse power issue due to weight trade offs as much as is it v4 vs. v6 torque, improved hole shot, and smooth speed increases throughout the power range.

Tough one you got there, but in the end I just really don’t think you will see too much difference in top end speed. I think you are likely to just see an improvement in hole shot when loaded up. However, how much do you want to hammer it from a dead stop with a boat load of people anyway? :confused:

I have a 200hp v6 Merc Verado on a 24’SSBXP SPS. I am 40-43 mph with 1-3 people and half tank or less of gas. 37-38 mph with a FULL load of people and fuel. IF the Yamaha 200 hp was v6, with all that added torque all the way through your power range, I’d say stick with it. The 100lbs of boat + extra weight of SPS+ is going to offset some of that 50hp gain.

However, I am a bit less sure with the v4 200hp vs. v6 250hp Yamaha. For me it may be less of an overall horse power issue due to weight trade offs as much as is it v4 vs. v6 torque, improved hole shot, and smooth speed increases throughout the power range.

Tough one you got there, but in the end I just really don’t think you will see too much difference in top end speed. I think you are likely to just see an improvement in hole shot when loaded up. However, how much do you want to hammer it from a dead stop with a boat load of people anyway? :confused:
After looking at the Bennington website im even more confused. For the S series Yamaha package they show the VF250 VF175. They dont even show a 200. On the Yamaha website they do make a VF200 V6. Im wondering if the F200 I4 is being replaced?

After looking at the Bennington website im even more confused. For the S series Yamaha package they show the VF250 VF175. They dont even show a 200. On the Yamaha website they do make a VF200 V6. Im wondering if the F200 I4 is being replaced?

Could be that, or could be they are not available at this time (backorders, inventory, supply chain issues). :mad:

That said, I wouldn’t at all bother with a VF175. I’d find a way to go 200hp, or if not available at all, take it as a sign from above that you are meant to jump to that 250hp. :D

I wouldn't entertain the Yamaha 200. Either go 250 or step down to a 150. You'll find that in many discussions on this forum and elsewhere. We have a Yamaha 150 on our tritoon with ESP.

Just a couple of years ago the big discussion was 115 vs 150 and now it is 200 vs 250 and 300. Shows where the pontoon industry is heading

We are a boat similar to lake living and if available I’d of taken the 250. The 100lbs it weight wouldn’t even be a consideration as to the performance.

If the additional money is not a problem, then as many have said above, by all means go with the 250.

That said, you'll probably not experience a very significant increase in speed over the 200 but your performance will be a bit better under a heavy load. I've got a GCW 2574 ESP with a 250 and can hit 40 with a few people on board. Increase that to ten or twelve and I'm still in the high 30's.

Then again, unless you're trying to outrun a storm I doubt you'll be spending much time at WOT with a bunch of people aboard given the comfort rule (as speed increases, comfort decreases).

Based upon the size of your build and the usage you describe above, I think you'd be happy going either way. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the family!

Excellent :)

Well the decision has been made. Yamaha 250HP 4.2L V6 25in with Digital Electronic Control

A little late, sorry but I would have said not worth the extra $6000. My 2013 Benny had the 3.3L 250 and I wish I would have kept it. I'm not that thrilled with the 4.2L. What prop are they putting on yours? My 2013 had a 19 pitch and that boat had no trouble getting to the mid 40s. This one has a 17 pitch and I can't get it out of the 30s. The dealer is going to swap it out to a 15 pitch since my RPM at WOT is in the low five thousands. I have little to no experience with the 200 but I know the 150 is pretty peppy and I know people who can outrun me at the moment with one.

A little late, sorry but I would have said not worth the extra $6000. My 2013 Benny had the 3.3L 250 and I wish I would have kept it. I'm not that thrilled with the 4.2L. What prop are they putting on yours? My 2013 had a 19 pitch and that boat had no trouble getting to the mid 40s. This one has a 17 pitch and I can't get it out of the 30s. The dealer is going to swap it out to a 15 pitch since my RPM at WOT is in the low five thousands. I have little to no experience with the 200 but I know the 150 is pretty peppy and I know people who can outrun me at the moment with one.
It ended up being a $4000 difference. We haven’t spoke about the pitch of the prop yet but I will stay away from the 17 based off of your info.

Sounds like you reached a decision you’ll be happy with AND got the price down from $6k to $4K. That certainly helps make it an easier call.

Nice!!

Well you definitely have something wrong going on. I had the 250 SHO with a Saltwater Series 17 and had no problem hitting in the 44-46 range, and mine had the added weight of my Sport Tower, not to mention well over 300lbs of stereo gear and stereo specific batteries. I really liked my SHO motor.

Won’t be much speed difference but you will notice a big difference when the boat is loaded with people with the extra 50hp..

Back