New way to add fender tie-offs on Q 's

Those look pretty slick! Very nice.

Trying to get a better pick but I haven't figured it out yet... The dimensions are 1" wide x 1" tall x 3.75" long. Here's the link to the site I found them at. We'll see if anyone has seen them and if anyone has any opinions on how they would work with the playpen cover on. I don't have my pontoon yet to see how snug the cover fits around the rails but I would think it would work.

http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-spring-loaded-cleat

Nap22, anything on top of the rail might cause cover problems. Any chance they will work on top of the second rail? Steve

This only works onstandard 1 1/4" rails. Won't work on a Q. Steve
You said a Q, what about the R series, are they 11/4" rails, couldn't find the answer on the spec sheet. I like the clamp that LTC Montana shows in the link

Have parts in hand. Zodapop and I will install them Friday afternoon. He's much more tech savy than me so I will get him to post the pictures. Steve

I have just bought some fenderbuddys they work great they are by www.biminibuddy.com by Imbac products company they are clamps that you can put anywhere on your rails and drill no holes or nothing. Hoss

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the engineering that go into all of these boats why does Team Bennington not have something built into the rails? Maybe a flip out hook or something that is built into the rail so all we have to do as an owner is hang the fenders. Have you ever looked into this TB?

Duckgrinder, there is a section in this forum for members to put suggestions like this; Member's Only - Offers and Sneak Peaks - Your Pontoon Ideas

I couldn't agree more, I have toyed with many different setups over the past year and am still looking for something better

I just seems like TB should have something designed arleady, something classy like the engraved cleats. Something that everyother boat owner would say " I wish my pontoon had that".

I just seems like TB should have something designed arleady, something classy like the engraved cleats. Something that everyother boat owner would say " I wish my pontoon had that".
I absolutely agree; Make sure you add your comment to the Your pontoon Ideas because when they are designing new models I am sure they review ideas [posted there rather than search all the posts

While I really like the permanent fender hook ideas mentioned here, I still struggle with exactly where I would place them on my boat. Once bolted on, you can't move them.

In the meantime, what I did was tie a metal ring with a small section of rope (~3 inch hoop) to the top rail at 5 different places along each side of the boat. Then I tied a narrow profile swivel clip (like the one shown below) on the end of the rope that's permanently tied to each fender. I then simply clip the fender to the metal ring that's tied to the rail whenever I need to use the fenders. The nice thing about using rope to tie the metal ring to the fence rail is I can slide the rope/ring along that section of fence rail to position the fender anywhere I need it, which depends on what I'm tying up to (such as a dock or another boat). I figured once I figured out the best fender placement for my needs, I would go with something more permanent like the ideas in this thread.

I used a swivel hook with a smaller end than the one shown below (I'm talking about the fixed swivel end, not the spring clip end) so it doesn't touch and scratch the fence. Anyway, thought I'd share this cheap temporary idea for those that haven't figured out a more permanent placement yet. I used a rope color that matches my vinyl seats so you don't really notice the rope "hoops" unless you look right at them.

Sorry, the site wouldn't let me post a pic of the swivel clip. Google it or click this link to see a pic: http://www.pjtool.co...yesnaphook.aspx

Install is done. I see Zodapop is dragging his feet on the pics. If anyone tries this the only surprise is the wide Q top rail has a divider in the middle. When you drill the hole it must be off-center, preferably to the outside. If he hasn't posted pics by tomorrow evening I'll try it. Steve

I have added more photos on my profile, This was a clean way to attach the snaps to the hand rails. Don't know about anyone else but Im happy with it!!!!!

IMG_2091a.jpg

IMG_2094a.jpg

Carl, do you use the ezfender? Can you and others that have them give a review. Do they intefere with playpen cover, how they look and work a few years down the road?
Not Carl, but I have them on my 20 SFI.... I really like them... just slide the rope thru the hole and adjust the height of the fender in a matter of seconds... I've only had them for part of one season and so far no issues with the screws that anchor the ezfender.. as far as interfering with the playpen cover... I keep my boat indoors and don't usually have the cover on it til the end of the season... when we put the cover on a couple of months ago the ezfenders didn't come into play at all, no problems that I'm aware of...

The search is on for a nicer looking eye bolt. Maybe an investment cast piece that would be shorter and without the open end. Steve

I have used the EZ Fender for a couple of years now and have had no issues. However I do not cover my boat every day as I store in my garage/ workshop I built just for the boat. I have covered it a time or two while on trips and these did not interfere with the top. The only concern I have is that someone helping hang the fenders is going to unscrew the thumb screw to far and drop it in the water. These set screws should have a Stop on them to keep them from coming all the way out. These are easy to use and adjust for different fender heights as needed. I m thinking of changing to the type that Nap22 just posted as these do not require a set screw. They are spring loaded and easy to use as well. Just my two cents.

Back