Now the bad news…

Steelbreeze

Reaction score
Well this thankfully is not the boat but trailer. I’m getting very odd and concerning wear patterns on tire. Anyone ever see this? Drivers first back tire first pic then front tire second. I’m assuming it’s “alignment” but how does one correct?

Attachments

• D0141987-0958-4EA5-A9DB-DFE37976191D.jpeg
    D0141987-0958-4EA5-A9DB-DFE37976191D.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 968191B1-1F4B-490B-922B-D1531882F141.jpeg
    968191B1-1F4B-490B-922B-D1531882F141.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 49
Not sure, but I assume the axle is out of alignment and will have to be corrected? My tires were also out of balance, so much the the trailer company paid to have them fixed.

When you have a tandem trailer and turn it sharp, one of tires on each side has to skid sideways a little to make the turn. (This is why it's next to impossible to turn a tandem trailer when you push it by hand.)

Depending on the load on each tire it may skid the front or the back tire while turning and could be a different tire in different situations. This usually happens while backing up, because you tend to turn the trailer sharper, even pushing the trailer tongue almost sideways if you're really cutting the trailer sharp. Look at the inside tires as someone else backs up into a driveway and you'll be amazed how much one of the tires skid sideways.

I had a bass boat that I would pull up past my driveway, and then back into our driveway and then garage. The driveway was a slight incline, so as I cut the trailer into the drive way the rear tire took most of the weight and it skidded the right front tire sideways as I turned.. After a year with dozens of fishing trips my left rear tire looked just like the one in your second photo. As the tire repeatedly skidded each time I backed into the driveway it flexed the tire sidewall and rolled it over a little and scrubbed the tread off the outside of the tire. After only one year here is my tire.

aa.JPG

I had the alignment checked and it was fine. Took me awhile to figure out what was happening.
I have no idea how often you trailer your boat or if you routinely back up in the same situation over and over again that could cause this, but it might be something to look into.

When you have a tandem trailer and turn it sharp, one of tires on each side has to skid sideways a little to make the turn. (This is why it's next to impossible to turn a tandem trailer when you push it by hand.)

Depending on the load on each tire it may skid the front or the back tire while turning and could be a different tire in different situations. This usually happens while backing up, because you tend to turn the trailer sharper, even pushing the trailer tongue almost sideways if you're really cutting the trailer sharp. Look at the inside tires as someone else backs up into a driveway and you'll be amazed how much one of the tires skid sideways.

I had a bass boat that I would pull up past my driveway, and then back into our driveway and then garage. The driveway was a slight incline, so as I cut the trailer into the drive way the rear tire took most of the weight and it skidded the right front tire sideways as I turned.. After a year with dozens of fishing trips my left rear tire looked just like the one in your second photo. As the tire repeatedly skidded each time I backed into the driveway it flexed the tire sidewall and rolled it over a little and scrubbed the tread off the outside of the tire. After only one year here is my tire.

View attachment 31095

I had the alignment checked and it was fine. Took me awhile to figure out what was happening.
I have no idea how often you trailer your boat or if you routinely back up in the same situation over and over again that could cause this, but it might be something to look into.
I do back it up and I have thought about the amount of stress on sharp slow back ups but I would have thought they wouldn’t be that pronounced after only 4 months My sharped back up is into my driveway which has only been 4-5 times. Certainly a little bit of side to side back down to launch ramps but nothing like the drive way. (Probably 60-70 degree angle)

I do back it up and I have thought about the amount of stress on sharp slow back ups but I would have thought they wouldn’t be that pronounced after only 4 months My sharped back up is into my driveway which has only been 4-5 times. Certainly a little bit of side to side back down to launch ramps but nothing like the drive way. (Probably 60-70 degree angle)
In your case I highly doubt it has anything to do with backing up. I will ask the obvious question, what are all your tire pressures at? Also, do you have a lifted truck that you tow with?

well i would hope so, the dealer "packages" them so i would assume they do the due diligence to make sure. I need to check the tire load rating (assume i would want "e") for what came on the trailer.

I would agree with some others in regards to the second photo: that axle (or just the hub) does not appear to be square with the trailer frame. I would also check all of the bearings for lubrication, wear, proper tightness, etc. And, as mentioned, proper inflation is important. Conditions that cause that much irregular tire wear that quickly are dangerous and must be corrected asap. Is that a new trailer? Tires shouldn't wear that much in 4 months if you towed your rig every day all day. I had to replace mine once in 15 years and only because they dry-rotted.

If you have an alignment issue the tire on the other side would show an irregular wear pattern as well. If not what your seeing could be a bent rim or even a balance issue. You could try swapping the rim and tire with another one maybe from the opposite side and see if it changes anything.

I would also find a like reference point on both side of your trailer and take measurements to the axles on both sides and see if they are very close.

Good luck

I’ve seen tires wear like that from balancing issues as well as what was mentioned above about constant turning in the same direction, mostly backing up. My tow rig doesn’t always engage the reverse lock and sometimes the tires do skid the length of any turn in the driveway. I could see that causing some uneven wear patterns and now I need to check my trailer when go out next time..

Back