NuCraft/Craftlander Lifts

I really love the advice Michiman since you are on the same lake.  Your experience and advice is very helpful to us.  So to follow you on this: You top off for the day when going out on the water, AND carry three 5 gallon cans as back up?  A half tank is base line in regards to what you would normally expect to go through in a normal day, but maybe pushing twice that if doing a lot of water sports? Do you have some 5 gallon cans that fit under a couple of the seats and are strapped down somehow as your backup?  Am I misunderstanding anything?  

Sorry for the confusion. As a general rule, I like to have a half tank at the end of the day (I think I have a 52 gal capacity). So at the beginning of the day, I add approximately 15 gallons (three five gallon cans) so I'm leaving our marina with about 40 gallons. On average, at the end of the day, we'll be back to around half a tank. If we have a very active day, I might be down to a 1/4 tank, so the next day I head over in the morning with 15 gallons and then later when we actually go out, I might bring another 10 to 15 to get me back to around 40-45. I do not carry any extra gas containers on our boat! If need be, there are several places on the lake to fill up.

Keep in mind that because our cottage is not directly on the lake, a normal day out for us would be 8 to 10 hours. We bring plenty of food and beverages and sometimes we'll grill on the boat or have dinner at a lakefront restaurant. There are a number of restrooms (state park, boat launches, etc. ) around the lake when nature calls. Of that time, about 60-70% is spent at a sandbar so I'm not actually running the entire time I'm out there.

Obviously, your results will be different but again, on average I seemed to burn about 15 gallons a day doing what we do in our first season with a Bennington. I think you'll find a bit better gas mileage with your boat and different dynamics living on the water.

Gotchya now Mich. Thanks for the clarification. Makes more sense now. Like you said, being right on the lake will aid us a bit.  We wont always be on the water for as long a stretches as you on a consistent basis because of our ability to come and go throughout the day without much hassle.  

Too much thinking. Just have fun. It's only money.

What is this retirement thing you youngsters are talking about?

Back