Oil change 350 I/O

Why not add an electric pump? Some electric pumps for changing marine oil are two way, the pump the oil out and can be used to pull new oil back in, it is a lot easier and cleaner. Just my 2cents. I wouldn't own an I/O without putting one on during the first oil change. I have a couple friends with I/O units with 2 way electric pumps permanently plumbed into the oil pan and wired in with a switch by the pump next to the engine.
I support the electric Drain Pump. The schematic typically includes ability to pressurize the oil galleys before starting the engine. A gate valve is manually turned to select draining the used oil or pressurising the oil galleys. Whereas, most wear occurs during start up of an engine, that has not been run for a few days, the pump prevents start up wear.

Installation typically connects the oil pan drain fitting and an oil galley, at the filter head. The filter head galley is immediately before the crankshaft main bearing galley. (the first of critical bearings). The circuit includes the gate valve, after the pump, to enable pumping "out" used oil, instead of pressurizing the oil galley. New oil is then poured in as usual, through the valve covers or other fill port. Price for such a design is somewhere around $600.00.

Pressurising installation includes a helm mounted, "momentary on", toggle switch. The switch is held "on" until pressure is seen on the gauge, then the engine is started. The system should be pressurized in approximately 15-30 seconds.

Back