One of Many Mysteries

SwanSong

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2006 2275FSI w/ Sea Legs from an individual. He told me the stereo worked but he disconnected it because it ran down the battery. He told me the Lawrence radio worked but he disconnected it because it ran down the battery. He told me the power anchor winches worked but he disconnected them because he used the Sea Legs and...you guessed it...they ran down the battery. I have no idea where he disconnected these devices and he is not responding to my requests for information. Where should I start?

Ummm….it should have a switch to kill all power from the battery when not in use. My guess is this guy was either A) insanely incompetent, or B) full of Shi….poo. Since they are not responding to your requests, I feel safe assuming option B.

I’d imagine it doesn’t hurt to try to look for the disconnects, but I gotta wonder if they just screwed stuff up and the devices themselves are not working. That’s my guess right now.

Anyway, are there any disconnected wires either at the batter, battery switch or under the helm?

Also, if EVERYTHING seemly was drawing his battery down, common sense dictates they would have discounnected the battery, not every individaul item powered off of it. AgaIn, I think this person was crooked and lied to you.

If you can get to the harness behind them… run a pair of dummy wires to battery (on floor) to see if they can at least power up. Once you know they work, then you can go the next route to finding wires or just re-running wires. I rewired all electronics on my last boat. It’s super easy if not underskinned.

Ummm….it should have a switch to kill all power from the battery when not in use. My guess is this guy was either A) insanely incompetent, or B) full of Shi….poo. Since they are not responding to your requests, I feel safe assuming option B.

I’d imagine it doesn’t hurt to try to look for the disconnects, but I gotta wonder if they just screwed stuff up and the devices themselves are not working. That’s my guess right now.

Anyway, are there any disconnected wires either at the batter, battery switch or under the helm?

Also, if EVERYTHING seemly was drawing his battery down, common sense dictates they would have discounnected the battery, not every individaul item powered off of it. AgaIn, I think this person was crooked and lied to you.
I got the impression that the pontoon was regularly taken to a sandbar and "moored" on the sea legs for extended periods of time. The previous owner may have abruptly disconnected the devices out of frustration of not being able to start the motor. In the short time i have owned it the main power switch in the motor bay has been turned off anytime the the motor is not running (the exception being when extending or retracting the sea legs). Since there is literally nothing drawing electricity I am only concerned about their being a wiring issue.

If you can get to the harness behind them… run a pair of dummy wires to battery (on floor) to see if they can at least power up. Once you know they work, then you can go the next route to finding wires or just re-running wires. I rewired all electronics on my last boat. It’s super easy if not underskinned.
Excellent idea. Not knowing anything useful about boats or electrical wiring what gauge wire do you suggest?

Going to depend on device but 12-14 gage should be sufficient to test. I would suggest testing with a fuse in the power side too be extra cautious. There have been a few boat fires posted on this forum this year.

Here is a decent article on wiring. Gives good schematics. https://newwiremarine.com/how-to/wiring-a-boat/

Back