OOOOOOps #2

...and a good aluminum welder can make it look new for very little cost.   :D

As you can see in the picture to make the toon look new would take lots of welding.  :D   The boat had been rode hard before we bought it.  It runs great now but it has its share of "use" marks.  

Thanks for all the kind words.  

I would not use insurance on this small a claim.  The rate increases would be more than the claim. 

MrG thanks for the advice.  My boat shop is talking to the welder they use to confirm he can handle the alloy.

BigK - it was the 2008 at Lake Cumberland.  Our dock is main channel.  I am using our cousins slip because they allow 8'6" boats.  it is the last slip away from land.  There is nothing to mitigate the waves before they reach the slip.  Our slip is closer to land and has some protection from the other dock.  We are extending the slips in the spring to allow the bigger boats and I can move back next year.  There was a house sale that fell through because the dock didn't allow 8'6" boats. That got slip owners' attention.  

I had the port side replaced last year . Not a small claim ,over $3500 .Rates did not change .

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the port side replaced last year . Not a small claim ,over $3500 .Rates did not change .

Maybe boat insurance is different from homeowners.  If the house didn't burn down don't file the claim.

As a former propert claims adjuster it always baffled me when someone had $1200 in damage, had a $1000 deductible and wanted the $200 check cut. Having previously worked in underwriting I would advise otherwise but some still insisted. Crazy. 

As a former propert claims adjuster it always baffled me when someone had $1200 in damage, had a $1000 deductible and wanted the $200 check cut. Having previously worked in underwriting I would advise otherwise but some still insisted. Crazy. 

Can you help me understand why that is crazy? If I have insurance that would cover the cost of the repair - less my deductible - why wouldn't the insurance company pay the balance?   Is it the fact that filing the claim would generate a rate increase, for the sake of the  $200?

In our experience, it was not the amount of the claim.  It was how many claims. Over three years, we filed 2 claims.  Roof damaged and a lighting strike that fried some electronics.  The insurer canceled our policy. That was our wakeup call. 

My car rates ( different insurer  than boat  ) went up because of the past 2 years, 3 broken windshields ,All of which were the fault of the resurfacing crew that our county had hired .And last September  a herd of deer ran into the right side of my car .

I called the insurance co ,they said once anyone gets to $5000.00 in claims they want their money back .

Bingo Bruce. It's not the dollar amount, it's the frequency. Another thing to remember is if you switch insurers, they look at a 5 year loss history. So that $200 check can cost you more than that in the long run. Some insurers have group discounts, disappearing deductibles etc that can be affected by claims frequency. Just one mans experience having worked in various levels of personal and commercial insurance over the years. Your results may vary.

I'm supprised at how quick people here on this Fourm are so quick to recommend

"call your insurer" "make a claim"

"have your dealer fix it under warranty"

god forbid somthing is wrong with your boat you take care of it yourself.

i say thins because in my personal experience I have found that I can fix somthing or get it repaird quicker & with no  collateral damage to other surfaces on the boat if I just bight the bullet and take care of it myself.

hate bringing in the boat in for 1 thing and then dealer messes up 2 more items in the process. 

i say thins because in my personal experience I have found that I can fix somthing or get it repaird quicker & with no  collateral damage to other surfaces on the boat if I just bight the bullet and take care of it myself.

hate bringing in the boat in for 1 thing and then dealer messes up 2 more items in the process. 

Yup, I ended up with several scratches the last time I had it in for warranty work (which I couldn't handle myself). Some of these dealer folks either don't care or don't know better...

I'm supprised at how quick people here on this Fourm are so quick to recommend

"call your insurer" "make a claim"

"have your dealer fix it under warranty"

god forbid somthing is wrong with your boat you take care of it yourself.

That is why it  is called insurance .If I  pay for insurance  and there is an incident  I am going to use it .

Back