Ordering 21LSB Swingback

Bobby Bass

Reaction score
I am upgrading my old Bennington to a 21LSB Swingback and would welcome any feedback on options before I order my boat.

Live on a lake. lake use only. Family like to tube and ski but mostly cruise the lake. Moor and jump off the boat when we take her out. a very busy lake with a lot of boat traffic and consequently a lot of chop to the water. Kids like to sun on the boat and listen to music but not too loud. Dad likes the music louder than the kids. Go figure.

I am set on the model and length. Ordering the SPS performance package with the max engine available from my dealer. Yamaha 150 HP VMAX SHO 25 IN.

Option’s considering:
Midnight Black smooth panel
textured accent panel in Metallic Silver
Blackout Luxe package
Bimini Blue Ice LED lighting
striker 4 Fish graph
SS keeper rail for swingback deck
Graphite simtex vinyl with Perforated Silver accent
Grano Shadow Grey flooring
Midnight black mooring cover and Bimini cover
Dual battery with switch, power distribution panel and master power switch
‘Heavy duty rub rail in black to match blackout package
Ski tow bar
Rockford Fosgate PMX-2 with Kicker Blue Ice speakers (4)

I'm sure other members will respond, we are very good at spending other people's money.

I contemplated the ss keeper rail and ended up not getting that option. I didn't like the idea that I couldn't sit on the edge of the swingback when I'm anchored because of the keeper rail. Another option to consider is the bow gate seat - more seating!

Attachments

• DSC07364.jpg
    DSC07364.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 8
I must admit, I have only used my blue ice bimini lights once…and that was testing them out the first year. Just not really a practical feature for us since we don’t put the bimini up when night boating.

We’ve used our interior RGB lights whenever out at night, but then again we don’t do a ton of night boating. Just a handful of times per year. I could have probably saved money on all my lighting options given the limited times we use them annually. That aside, they all look cool when used and our kids and company LOVE them if we go out at night.

I like the raised helm option. I am glad we have it on ours as I am average height. It helps me see with passengers up front. Different opinions on it, but I agree with Michiman in another thread about it helping with visibility. And for me, I like the look of the raised helm more than the non-raised helm.

Contrary to Diamond Dave above, we like the keeper rail, but you do get mixed opinions on it. In our state, you have to have it to legally allow people to sit back there when underway. But on top of that, it is in effect a hand wrap around railing to hang onto to steady yourself. Particularly handy in turbulent water when needed (maybe pulling in a tub or ski line, fishing, getting in and out of the water via back ladder and making space for people, etc).

My Main Recommendations:
Two features we have on ours that I don’t see listed on yours that might be worth considering: (1) extended aft deck (wouldn’t go without it ourself on our 24’ swingback layout!!!), and (2) in floor storage with your SPS tritoon hull (may or may not be useful to you since the swingback seat area does have a decent amount of storage space as well).

Otherwise, you have some nice features on a boat that should really meet your wants and needs as you described them. We have a 24’ swingback with the SPS hull and a 200hp Mercury, and just really love the boat and its layout. Like you, lots of water sports when not just cruising around. And that swingback seat areas is the perfect area for spotters to hang out, talk and keep an eye on tubers/skiers. And if not doing water sports, its still the preferences spot for people to lay around on the boat.

I must admit, I have only used my blue ice bimini lights once…and that was testing them out the first year. Just not really a practical feature for us since we don’t put the bimini up when night boating.

We’ve used our interior RGB lights whenever out at night, but then again we don’t do a ton of night boating. Just a handful of times per year. I could have probably saved money on all my lighting options given the limited times we use them annually. That aside, they all look cool when used and our kids and company LOVE them if we go out at night.

I like the raised helm option. I am glad we have it on ours as I am average height. It helps me see with passengers up front. Different opinions on it, but I agree with Michiman in another thread about it helping with visibility. And for me, I like the look of the raised helm more than the non-raised helm.

Contrary to Diamond Dave above, we like the keeper rail, but you do get mixed opinions on it. In our state, you have to have it to legally allow people to sit back there when underway. But on top of that, it is in effect a hand wrap around railing to hang onto to steady yourself. Particularly handy in turbulent water when needed (maybe pulling in a tub or ski line, fishing, getting in and out of the water via back ladder and making space for people, etc).

My Main Recommendations:
Two features we have on ours that I don’t see listed on yours that might be worth considering: (1) extended aft deck (wouldn’t go without it ourself on our 24’ swingback layout!!!), and (2) in floor storage with your SPS tritoon hull (may or may not be useful to you since the swingback seat area does have a decent amount of storage space as well).

Otherwise, you have some nice features on a boat that should really meet your wants and needs as you described them. We have a 24’ swingback with the SPS hull and a 200hp Mercury, and just really love the boat and its layout. Like you, lots of water sports when not just cruising around. And that swingback seat areas is the perfect area for spotters to hang out, talk and keep an eye on tubers/skiers.
Thanks for the feedback. Didn’t list it but ordering the extended aft deck which is required for the 150 HP SPS options. Thinking about the floor storage. Discussed with the dealer that recommended it. My only concern is my brother has it in his bowrider and he had to replace the storage lid. Also read some feedback about water collecting in the hold. Has that been an issue for you? How stable is the floor storage lid on the Bennington?

Thinking about the floor storage. Discussed with the dealer that recommended it. My only concern is my brother has it in his bowrider and he had to replace the storage lid. Also read some feedback about water collecting in the hold. Has that been an issue for you? How stable is the floor storage lid on the Bennington?
First sturdiness. That’s not a concern at all with the Bennington’s. My floor storage door, bracket, etc…are very strong, and still like new. I would not have any concerns or reservations in that department.

Second, water. Toss up concern here IMHO. I have not personally had water intrusion problems in mine. It will get damp, but not standing water in mine. Maybe ran my pump a few times over the years after monster storms.

However, others in here have reported problems with lots of water. I haven’t been able to see a definitive pattern for those that do and those that don’t. It is not a water tight compartment. It’s vented for air flow to dry it out to help prevent mold and what not…so water can certainly get in there. We just haven’t had issues. That said, as a precaution, I don’t put things in there that cannot get wet. I keep my skis there all season. When using the boat we also put things like mooring cover & poles, and other larger temporary things like that in their when out using the boat. It’s a toss up here with that concern. Since we are lakefront ourselves, I could have gotten away without it too. Just an extra storage convenience, but for some owners, not essential.

P.S. I read a reply elsewhere from someone that mentioned power steering. Jumping on that bandwagon! At 150hp and up, I am a BIG fan of power assist steering. As the captain at the helm, particularly for water sports, it just makes it easy, which as I get older, makes it more enjoyable for me. That’s another option that’s on a must have short list for me with higher HP Tritoons.

Sounds like it's going to be a great boat. My only suggestion is to reconsider the black cover. I've had 5 boats and 2 came with black covers. When I replaced them, I went with beige Sunbrella and was happy I did. Much, much cooler inside. The black cover on my 2011 Benny caused damage to the tops of the front couches.

Thanks for the feedback. Didn’t list it but ordering the extended aft deck which is required for the 150 HP SPS options. Thinking about the floor storage. Discussed with the dealer that recommended it. My only concern is my brother has it in his bowrider and he had to replace the storage lid. Also read some feedback about water collecting in the hold. Has that been an issue for you? How stable is the floor storage lid on the Bennington?
Center Storage: I do get water in the storage compartment, primarily from the Monsoons. I had the bilge pump wired direct to the batteries, and leave it on auto - never an issue. When covered / docked / stored - I leave the hatch open.

I would skip the Bimini lighting, but add the center storage, raised helm, electric power assist steering, and a 7 inch simrad or garmin. All of this is personal preference, but will have a 10 year warranty when ordered through Bennington. The power steering is not a must but sure is nice!

I am upgrading my old Bennington to a 21LSB Swingback and would welcome any feedback on options before I order my boat.

Live on a lake. lake use only. Family like to tube and ski but mostly cruise the lake. Moor and jump off the boat when we take her out. a very busy lake with a lot of boat traffic and consequently a lot of chop to the water. Kids like to sun on the boat and listen to music but not too loud. Dad likes the music louder than the kids. Go figure.

I am set on the model and length. Ordering the SPS performance package with the max engine available from my dealer. Yamaha 150 HP VMAX SHO 25 IN.

Option’s considering:
Midnight Black smooth panel
textured accent panel in Metallic Silver
Blackout Luxe package
Bimini Blue Ice LED lighting
striker 4 Fish graph
SS keeper rail for swingback deck
Graphite simtex vinyl with Perforated Silver accent
Grano Shadow Grey flooring
Midnight black mooring cover and Bimini cover
Dual battery with switch, power distribution panel and master power switch
‘Heavy duty rub rail in black to match blackout package
Ski tow bar
Rockford Fosgate PMX-2 with Kicker Blue Ice speakers (4)
Sounds so sweet!

Awesome. Congratulations. Always tough making the final decisions and committing.

When it comes in we’re all going to want to see pictures of your new Bennington…just saying. ;) :cool:

From the side and top view pictures, I don't see the extended aft deck. I think that comes standard with the swingback, but I could be wrong. Also, did you go with the stainless steel boarding ladder or the standard curved aluminum ladder? I have the standard ladder and love it! Boat looks awesome. Congrats my friend.

From the side and top view pictures, I don't see the extended aft deck. I think that comes standard with the swingback, but I could be wrong. Also, did you go with the stainless steel boarding ladder or the standard curved aluminum ladder? I have the standard ladder and love it! Boat looks awesome. Congrats my friend.
Ordered the extended aft deck needed for the 150 HP Engine. Unfortunately the stock picture they generate online doesn’t show the upgrades. Went with the black Lilly pad ladder that the Bennington rep said is now standard on the 2024s. Saw one in the showroom and my wife was hooked. Much easier to get up and down and a strap to lower and raise. Thanks.

Congratulations on your upgrade! You will love the Lilly pad ladder. I shattered my heal several years ago and still not 100%. But it’s soo much easier to climb in the boat. Less stress on your knees and feet. Plus the extended deck is amazing also. Enjoy and don’t forget to send pictures

Went with the black Lilly pad ladder that the Bennington rep said is now standard on the 2024s. Saw one in the showroom and my wife was hooked. Much easier to get up and down and a strap to lower and raise. Thanks.
Jealous! I would really like one of those new Lilly pad Ladders. Nice!!!

Congratulations! What a beauty!!!

Back