OUCH: Cost of a December Outing in Low Water - lower rebuild

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
So our December Parade outing was followed by a day on the water. The lake was down a couple of feet so I was being safe & slow. Well, an unmarked outcrop about 25' from shore gave my prop a high-five - took a nice chuck out of the SS Enertia - and bent the propeller shaft along with some gear damage. Repair guy said if I was going fast, the damage might not have happened - so - so much for safe and slow!! $4,400 out the door with labor and tax. No one said it was cheap, LOL. B.O.A.T.

1677428351813.png

Last edited:
Just curious on parts availability, any issues ?

What is a December outing:). Mine has been in the barn since October.

I feel your pain. I hit a buoy that was just under the water due to high lake level. Bent the shaft but no gear damage.

So our December Parade outing was followed by a day on the water. The lake was down a couple of feet so I was being safe & slow. Well, an unmarked outcrop about 25' from shore gave my prop a high-five - took a nice chuck out of the SS Enertia - and bent the propeller shaft along with some gear damage. Repair guy said if I was going fast, the damage might not have happened - so - so much for safe and slow!! $4,400 out the door with labor and tax. No one said it was cheap, LOL. B.O.A.T.

View attachment 33981
Holy crap!!!

I will keep you posted!
Ok, so parts were ordered about Feb 28th, they came in the end of last week 3/24/23 - Prop Shaft, several gears, misc parts for a damaged lower - but apparently a "special tool" was needed for the 350!? So now they are waiting for that, expected to be finished Mid- April - just in time for my escape from doing tax work and hitting the lake!!!

Ok, so parts were ordered about Feb 28th, they came in the end of last week 3/24/23 - Prop Shaft, several gears, misc parts for a damaged lower - but apparently a "special tool" was needed for the 350!? So now they are waiting for that, expected to be finished Mid- April - just in time for my escape from doing tax work and hitting the lake!!!
Are you a CPA Laurence??? My wife works at an accounting firm here in NC and she's been up to her neck in tax returns since about mid February! She keeps counting down the days to April 18th!

You got a great deal on the parts! They did not charge you for the gearcase oil :) ... This stinks.. I shredded gears one time getting a wire rope caught in my lower at full speed. Did nto have my Benny at the time, was a Yamaha 150 at 6k RPM... Ended up replacing whole lower from one of the online rebuilders. Was cheaper than having the mechanic rebuild the one I had. Just sent in the core and a fresh rebuild lower showed up in about a week. You may want to look into that route.

Here is where I got the one for my Y150... They appear to have Mercury as well.

Are you a CPA Laurence??? My wife works at an accounting firm here in NC and she's been up to her neck in tax returns since about mid February! She keeps counting down the days to April 18th!
Yes, a CPA / RE Broker - so taxes that specialize in real estate holdings - we actually have disaster relief here in California until Oct, but the new rules with K2/K3 reporting and California State basis adjustments - doubled our work - I rarely see daylight this time of year....LOL. But that's ok, more of a deferral for summer days at the lake!!! I actually love the work, it's like a paint by numbers project, but you get to choose the colors. All the loopholes, complex rules, strategic planning especially for multi-generation asset retention, more like artwork. Yet, I would vote to simplify it all in a heartbeat - the entire system is so very slanted towards big money. But hey, paid for my Benny!!!

I am an engineer and do complex math every day at work. Create complex processes and products all the time. No way would I ever touch the world of taxes. Happy to have professionals do it for me! But engineering paid for my Benny too!!! :).

Back