Out of storage

newboater

Reaction score
At the end of last season I had my boat winterized before putting it into storage. The dealer fogged the engine, put fuel stabilizer in, and changed to oil. No that I am getting ready to put the boat in the water, what maintenance should I be performing? A friend I work with, who has been boating for the last 30 years says that he just puts the boat in the water and starts it up. He says the engine will smoke a little at first but that is it. I am not sure though. Do I need to do anything else? Thanks

Pack a cooler with some beer and invite some friends!

Engine will smoke due to fogging oil. You didn't say what kind of motor? Thoughts would be plugs and fuel water separator filter.

Todd

Charge your battery! Nothing worse than a dead batt at the ramp. They tend to lose their charge over long periods of storage.

All good suggestions and things to check. Don't forget to give a few pumps of grease to all the zerks if your dealer didn't do it. I also add a bottle of IsoHeat fuel de-icer (any brand with isopropyl alcohol will work) just in case you have any moisture in the fuel tank. The isopropyl alcohol will eliminate it.

The water impellor is probably mentioned in the engine owners manual. The impellor has a variable life expectancy. However, I wouldn't run one over two years and if used any amount of hours, change yearly. Because an impellor devlops memory from setting, spring of the year is when I would make the replacement. (Hornets are famous for building a hornets nest in the water intakes ) Same goes with the drive oil.....Winterization may not have included changing the drive fluid. (the drive case should be pressure checked ) The prop shaft should have a fresh coat of water resistant marine grease and the prop nut and locking tab should be replaced if remotely in question. A chipped or bent prop can cause a vibration. Subject to starting the engine on a garden hose, start the engine without the prop, put the drive in gear and watch for a bent prop shaft and listen for any strange noise.

Ethanol loves to chew on fuel lines and fuel pumps. Any fuel will deteriate the fuel pump diaphram. The parts are easy to change and affordable.

The shift and steering cables should be inspected and lubricated as possible. Check the lights and wiring.....Trailer parts to be lubricated include the coupler, winch, wheel bearings and brakes. Check your tires, wheels and lugs. Lugs have a reputation of rusting and seizure.

There, that should keep you busy until it's time to winterize again. LOL

Back