Outboard Options

slinkyredfoot

Reaction score
I have noticed in the pictures Bennington owners have posted here the entire array of outboards rigged on these boats. The latest being a Honda. When we bought our Btoon, Merc and Yamaha were our options with our dealer. We really wanted a Honda but to no avail. Are outboards dealer specific or what is the deal?

Yes, your dealer will only sell you what he has to sell, as in them being a Merc dealer, Yamaha dealer etc. But you can put any motor brand you like on it, but cost may be an issue.

Many dealers don't bother to stock Honda because they are relatively expensive and thus have a low demand.

We bought a 115 Merc on a 22SL which is no problem at all, they are everywhere. No problems yet because we haven't taken delivery and I am sure there will be no issues. I was just wondering how it all works.

When you "build" a toon on the Bennington Website, they have three different ways to order the boat:

No Pre Rig 902019 $0 MSRP

Mercury 902002 $854 MSRP

Mercury (Non Pkg)MERPRE $1,382 MSRP

I take it that with No Pre Rig, the boat has no preparation made for the engine installation.

Does anyone know what the second and third lines mean? What's the difference? What do you get with the pre rig?

Can a Suzuki/Yamaha dealer order the boat setup for a Mercury engine--and then just sell the boat and trailer without an engine? (I can purchase the new Mercury 150 HP engine for thousands less than the Yamaha.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they came sell you the boat and trailer but your gonna spend way too much to buy a outboard motor off the shelf from a dealer that sells your brand. It's like a report. For example, I had a 22 pursuit walk around cuddy that I bought that was sold by a Merc dealer to me, but I wanted a Johnson. Cost me 15k plus controls and rigging to have that engine put on. Could have boat withbthe merc motor for 10k less.

I have heard people doing that, but it's not cheap. I finally went with the dark side with a Merc on this bennington and I can't be happier. We have no authorized dealers for Honda, suzuki and only 1 for yammaha in a 100 mile radius. Get was is easiest to get service if you ever need warranty work needed. All modern motors are very reliable now.

TODD

Todd: It's hard to believe there's just one Yamaha outboard dealer around. Michigan's really has a lot of registered boats.

What we have relatively few of is new boat dealers--especially for a city of 140,000 people with three major lakes within 15 miles. We have a Tracker/Merc dealer and a second dealership selling Suncruiser and Cypress Cay pontoons and Merc outboards. Neither dealership is stocking many pontoons this year, and a few year old models are still available.

40 miles downriver and 40 miles upriver we have another full set of dealerships. There are 2 Bennington dealerships within 1 1/2 hours and 1 two hours south.

Two Mercury outboard dealerships are 35 miles north--just 3 miles apart. Mercury is wondering why they have bad dealer allegiance with dealerships selling more Yamaha's than Mercurys. One of those dealerships has a Merc Racing Engine franchise, and he sells the new Merc 150 for $9,990. You don't have to use SmartDrive components on the new engine, saving big $ on labor, gauges and throttle/gearshifts.

Bamaman - we are in the thumb of Michigan. Lindays is the only yammaha dealer around. No suzi dealers anywhere. It's mercury or johnson_rude up here.

Todd

II have 3 bennington dealers that are doable. Spicers in Houghton lake where I bought our bot. Secord in gladwin and 3rd in Brighton called wilson marine. None deal with anything. But mercury and maybe Yammaha. All dealers are 200 miles plus away from where I keep my boat. We have 4 bennington and they all have mercury outboards in our marina. Pretty much limits us to mercury unless we do some special deals

Todd

Secord Marine sells Mercury, Yamaha, and Suzuki. He may still sell BRP but I know he doesn't stock them since BRP dropped the 4 stroke line. He sold a lot of the Johnson 4 strokes.

The Johnsons were just a rebadged suzuki. Didn't they have some joint venture? When I was there last year, they told me mercury was my only option i had.

The dealer can order a Bennington with any brand of motor that Bennington offers. Whether he will or not is up to him.... My dealer offered to order my boat with a 150 Yamaha on it. He is a Merc dealer and last year the 115 was the biggest 4 stroke with out going to a Verado. The only issue was that he would not be able to do any warranty work on the Yamaha. This year at the boat show I asked him about changing out my 115 for a new Merc 150 and he stated that all of his motors come with boats and he could not get just a motor....

Back