Outboard Winterization & Fuel/Water Separator

DiamondDave952

Reaction score
I will be winterizing my new pontoon for the first time and was wondering what do with the fuel/water separator. Manual calls to change it out at 50 hours (I think...) and was going to follow the manufacture's recommendations but I'm concerned that if there is any water in the separator, if it would freeze and burst? Then I got a mess on my hands. What do folks in the Northern climates do? I suppose I could change the separator to be safe, but what are other doing?

I strongly suggest you Follow manufacturer recommendations. If there is freeze able water in the separation filter, you would have had engine troubles already. Just be sure to use a good gas stabilization like Gas stabil . I’ve used it since 1971 and never had a problem with my fuel in the springtime. Do change lower unit gear oil before winter and use a good fog agent for your engine.

As a safe vs sorry, I pay the $30 to change my fuel water separator every year whether its needed or not. Peace of mind goes a long way. $30 buck is nothing on a $60K boat plus (and most are closer to $80 - $100K)

I had mine changed every year before storage

Yup change it when you change your oil and lower unit lube.....

Back