Outdrive fluid Leak

G

Geewest

Looking for some help in tracking down a leak in my out drive fluid. I have a Merc 350 in my 2575QCW with the Bravo 3. The easy answer would be to take it to the dealer 2 hrs away and figure out whats wrong, BUT i wanted to explore the DIY option first.

I have recieved the Alarm letting me know my Out-drive Fluid level is low 2 times now. The first time I noticed NO Out-drive fluid in and around the motor compartment so I just put some more fluid in the over flow bottle and went on my way. Fast forward 3 weeks later yesterday I got the low fluid alarm again and This time I noticed traces of fluid around the motor compartment. I'm pretty sure its just a loose connection and I hoping a simple tighten of a hose or fitting can correct the problem. Where does the hose from the Over flow bottle go to? Where should I check for leaks

Thanks

Looking for some help in tracking down a leak in my out drive fluid. I have a Merc 350 in my 2575QCW with the Bravo 3. The easy answer would be to take it to the dealer 2 hrs away and figure out whats wrong, BUT i wanted to explore the DIY option first.

I have recieved the Alarm letting me know my Out-drive Fluid level is low 2 times now. The first time I noticed NO Out-drive fluid in and around the motor compartment so I just put some more fluid in the over flow bottle and went on my way. Fast forward 3 weeks later yesterday I got the low fluid alarm again and This time I noticed traces of fluid around the motor compartment. I'm pretty sure its just a loose connection and I hoping a simple tighten of a hose or fitting can correct the problem. Where does the hose from the Over flow bottle go to? Where should I check for leaks

Thanks
We have the 4.3L Mercruiser w/the Alpha 1. When we first got it an alarm went off and we had no idea what it indicated. Our 1st 4.3L on our bowrider didn't have the reservoir on top of the engine but we quickly found out what was causing the alarm. We just added more fluid and it hasn't gone low since. Check the lower unit gear case oil drain plug on the bottom of your outdrive. With a flat head screwdriver make sure it's tight. Then check the vent hole further up. The hose coming from the reservoir goes to the outdrive. Try to follow the hose as far as you can to see if it is leaking somewhere. You also might have a pin hole in that hose...................good luck!

I drained my Yamaha outboard lower unit this week, and found water. How long has it been since you drained your lower end and changed the grease?

In my case, there are tiny gaskets on the drain hole and vent hole that water can rot. Leaks can be found by a pressure test and vacuum test. Since I had so 4-6 oz. water, it's obvious that a seal kit is required. Parts are $85 and base labor rate is 2 hrs. @ $75 per hour. They're also doing a water pump replacement. I'm certainly not complaining, as I've had 26 years' good service.

With outdrives, preventative maintenance is important. It's a quick and easy job to replace the rear end grease if you're on a trailer--just a few minutes.

My boat has 60 hrs on it do I don't think their is Ny rot issues as of yet. Sorry I should have said so in the original post. I called the dealer and they said its common for them to leak at the over flow bottle they said to chek the line all the way back to the transome

Back