Overreving with 14P prop, dealer thinks it's right but Merc says that's too high.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Just picked my boat up, 2021 22SVSR with SPS and 150 Mercury 4 stroke. Prop is an Enertia 15.3 x 14. WOT I am running 5870 RPM with 5800 being listed as Max. Called Mercury and they agree it should not be over 5800. My Dealer is great to work with and super helpful, he only put a 14 on based on the Bennington chart. He is open to replacing with a 15P. What's everyone's thoughts please?

Attachments

• IMG_7945.PNG
    IMG_7945.PNG
    79.8 KB · Views: 9
My question to you would be how was the boat loaded when you were hitting that RPM above 5800? Is it you alone with a near empty tank a gas? As you load the boat up with fuel and people, RPMs will drop.

Me, personally, I would put the 15 on and test WOT. That's assuming you already have several hours on it before testing WOT (post break-in period). You can always go back to the 14 if unhappy with the numbers.

Me, personally, I would put the 15 on and test WOT. That's assuming you already have several hours on it before testing WOT (post break-in period). You can always go back to the 14 if unhappy with the numbers.
That's what I would like to do but dealer does not have a 15 in stock and says he doesn't want to keep it if I don't like it. "if you order it, it's yours"

It's got three hours on it, I followed break in carefully and still wont run it WOT for more than 5 min. at a time as per the break-in procedure.

Maybe you could try a 15X15 which might reduce the expected 200 RPM drop. That seems to be a very popular size for the 150 crowd. As White Laker pointed out, RPMs will also drop by adding people and gear. BTW, welcome to the club and post some pictures!

Maybe you could try a 15X15 which might reduce the expected 200 RPM drop. That seems to be a very popular size for the 150 crowd. As White Laker pointed out, RPMs will also drop by adding people and gear. BTW, welcome to the club and post some pictures!
My gut says 15x15 will be right but I'm so new to this I dont know for sure. Most of the time it will just be the me and the wife and our pups (and our new baby due in June!) so not loaded heavy but much of the summer we will have friends so more weight.

In any case, we are loving the boat so far!! So glad we went with a Benny.

Attachments

• IMG_7961.JPG
    IMG_7961.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8643.jpg
    IMG_8643.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 18
I ran the 22SVSR SPS specs through the Merc Prop Selector, and here's what it listed:

(click to enlarge)
Merc150on22SVSR.jpg

I'd follow the previous advice and definitely try out the Enertia 15x15 part# 898990A46.

The Vengeance 14.5x15 part# 16312A46 may be a good candidate, as well...and around $230 cheaper MSRP than the Enertia, if that matters to your wallet.

I ran the 22SVSR SPS specs through the Merc Prop Selector, and here's what it listed:

(click to enlarge)
View attachment 28848

I'd follow the previous advice and definitely try out the Enertia 15x15 part# 898990A46.

The Vengeance 14.5x15 part# 16312A46 may be a good candidate, as well...and around $230 cheaper MSRP than the Enertia, if that matters to your wallet.
The 15x15 feels right. I can swap it at no cost, boat is brand new and dealer would just take the 15x14 in trade I guess

Will the boat be sitting in the water and the toons getting dirty? If so, that will slow you down and drop your RPMs. High humidity in the summer will drop your RPMs. I run one inch bigger prop early in the year and switch to the smaller one in the summer. I always keep a spare prop so having two sizes works best for me.

Will the boat be sitting in the water and the toons getting dirty? If so, that will slow you down and drop your RPMs. High humidity in the summer will drop your RPMs. I run one inch bigger prop early in the year and switch to the smaller one in the summer. I always keep a spare prop so having two sizes works best for me.
It’ll be on a lift most of the time. I thought it might be a little faster in summer because water/engine might be warmer. It’s fairly humid yeah round here in NC haha

I ask because we've been on Norman, Jordan, Badin, High Rock, Tillery, Cammack, Mayo, Hyco, Kerr, Falls, Belews, Brandt, Higgins, Randolph, Macintosh, and Townsend, but never Wylie. LOL Live in Greensboro area, and prefer Smith Mountain Lake (the best) and Gaston over all of those. Need to check out Wylie. Heard good things.

Wife and I both grew up around Raleigh so I spend time on Falls, Kerr, Gaston and SML (agree it’s the best!) as a kid. We’ve been here in Charlotte for 5+ years but just moved to this house in October. Fortunate enough to be on the water so we didn’t even buy a trailer. Just had to modify my existing lift with flat bunks.

I’ll have a better lake report come summer but so far Wylie seems like a perfect lake for pontoons, not too crowded. There’s a waterfront restaurant just across the lake we are looking forward to checking out by boat.

Attachments

• 4D0E4EC3-E6D4-44DD-BCC0-3902BBDE3859.jpeg
    4D0E4EC3-E6D4-44DD-BCC0-3902BBDE3859.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 13
  • E6D267B7-4086-4C24-885F-4762F65BE490.jpeg
    E6D267B7-4086-4C24-885F-4762F65BE490.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 13
I had a 150 with a 15 X 15 Enertia on my 23 RCW SA , with the SPS package ,much heavier boat. It topped at 38 with a full tank and 2 people .The weight of the arch was the equitant of 2 more adults

I had a 150 with a 15 X 15 Enertia on my 23 RCW SA , with the SPS package ,much heavier boat. It topped at 38 with a full tank and 2 people .The weight of the arch was the equitant of 2 more adults
Would you recommend the 15 for my boat then? Or keep with the 14?

The prop chart that was provided to my dealer in 2014 recommended, a 15 X 15 for my set up
The dealer did try 2 or 3 other props ( I dont recall the sizes ) on our water test , we stayed with the 15 X 15 ,it provided the best performance . I was happy with it

I am running the 15 Enertia. See below for my boat details. I went from a 13, IIRC, but it's been a while. It's the perfect prop for my boat. My situation was different than yours, however, in that my dealer had one and was willing to let me give back if I didn't like it.

Congrats on the new boat and impending new family member.

I am running the 15 Enertia. See below for my boat details. I went from a 13, IIRC, but it's been a while. It's the perfect prop for my boat. My situation was different than yours, however, in that my dealer had one and was willing to let me give back if I didn't like it.

Congrats on the new boat and impending new family member.
Is that a 150 Merc? What RPM are you running at 43 MPH?

thanks!

Back