ow to drain SLX 18 footer fuel tank. Any pictures would help

Leon Weaver

Reaction score
I put around 20 gallons of fuel into my 28 gallon tank and want to drain out most of the fuel for winterization. I naively thought I could siphon the fuel out thru my filler hose input but alas there's some blockage preventing me from getting the hose down into the tank. Can I disconnect the filler hose as it enters directly into the tank and siphon from there? Don't want to disturb any connections critical to the operation of the motor. A picture of the right connection into the tank to perform the drain would be most helpful.

Thanks

Leon

I keep mine full over the winter during storage

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a minor problem getting the boat hauled out such that having less weight in the aft where the gas tank is located is advantageous. Have a shallow boat launch area unfortunately and every inch counts. Have ruined a couple of props whilst launching and removing the boat at this boat launch. If I could get 100 lbs less of fuel in the tank this might make a difference. I guess I could also have the wife or someone heavier stand at the bow and elevate the prop a bit. Anywho, the folks that service and store my boat over the winter have recommended draining the gas tank. I'll likely just call them for advice on how to do this.

Cheers

Leon

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a minor problem getting the boat hauled out such that having less weight in the aft where the gas tank is located is advantageous. Have a shallow boat launch area unfortunately and every inch counts. Have ruined a couple of props whilst launching and removing the boat at this boat launch. If I could get 100 lbs less of fuel in the tank this might make a difference. I guess I could also have the wife or someone heavier stand at the bow and elevate the prop a bit. Anywho, the folks that service and store my boat over the winter have recommended draining the gas tank. I'll likely just call them for advice on how to do this.

Cheers

Leon
Welcome to the forum Leon! While retrieving your boat up the ramp do you put the outdrive/motor all the way up in trailer position so the skeg, lower unit, and prop can't make contact with the ground?!? I can't imagine anything making contact with the ground when all the up in this position regardless of how shallow it is!!! Am I missing something here?!?

Welcome to the forum Leon! While retrieving your boat up the ramp do you put the outdrive/motor all the way up in trailer position so the skeg, lower unit, and prop can't make contact with the ground?!? I can't imagine anything making contact with the ground when all the up in this position regardless of how shallow it is!!! Am I missing something here?!?
I must be missing it too!

The boat launch is very very steep so when I cruise the boat into the trailer, the prop is already be very low even though I have it at the lowest level of trim that can give me some propulsion. Since the launch is steep the aft of the boat is tilted even lower and thus the prop is lower too. The guy that picks up the boat has required that I give the boat some gas to nudge it into the cradle/trailer. I think he's afraid of getting the trailer stuck in the mud so maybe he doesn't go in far enough. Maybe next time I'll just tell him to get the trailer a bunch further into the water as the steepness of the launch and the extra weight aft can cause a problem with me wrecking a prop if I have to provide power to move the boat a little forward. He probably should just winch the boat in the extra 2-3 feet required instead of me trying to power the boat into the cradle/trailer. I can always try to use some other private launches around the pond that are less steep but the mud is pretty deep at these sites.

Cheers

Leon

Store the boat full of fresh non-oxy fuel with a stabilizer added. Storing empty promotes both condensation and corrosion. You don't want either. Make sure to change oil and gear lube before storage as well. Fresh oil in the spring is another mistake many seem to make...

Fuel Lines:
I have had issues with air leaking into the fuel lines and causing issues - so if you are disconnecting lines be sure it is NOT one of the supply lines. I seem to recall multiple lines enter the tank, my Benny has two access panels under the SB but I can't put my finger on the photo's at the moment. Actually, good to hear you could NOT drain it, thus making the need for a LOCKING GAS CAP a non-issue - this issue has been noted, but then other posts suggest their gas has been drained - possibly older Benny's?

Options:
It was not clear if the ramp is steep or shallow or somehow both, or if this was your trailer or not - but it seems if you can get at least the nose of the Benny onto the trailer (especially with side posts and/or guide rails) then the winch can do the rest. Now I had a 5,000 lb winch put on my trailer with an extra long strap.

While I understand the concern with a ramp being dirt (mud) and not concrete, I just can't see the loading being so shallow that with engine trimmed up as you noted (with the prop just barely under water) - that you could not get at least half your benny on the trailer and let the winch do the rest.

Just ideas......My Best!!!!

The boat launch is very very steep so when I cruise the boat into the trailer, the prop is already be very low even though I have it at the lowest level of trim that can give me some propulsion. Since the launch is steep the aft of the boat is tilted even lower and thus the prop is lower too. The guy that picks up the boat has required that I give the boat some gas to nudge it into the cradle/trailer. I think he's afraid of getting the trailer stuck in the mud so maybe he doesn't go in far enough. Maybe next time I'll just tell him to get the trailer a bunch further into the water as the steepness of the launch and the extra weight aft can cause a problem with me wrecking a prop if I have to provide power to move the boat a little forward. He probably should just winch the boat in the extra 2-3 feet required instead of me trying to power the boat into the cradle/trailer. I can always try to use some other private launches around the pond that are less steep but the mud is pretty deep at these sites.

Cheers

Leon
Yeah Leon it sounds like your problem would be over if he would back the trailer further in the water. Let us know how it works out. Are all the boat launches on your lake muddy?!?

Thanks again. Yeah, all other boat launches are muddy mostly because we've been in an extreme drought for the past several weeks and pond level is exceptionally low. If pond level was higher most launches have a sandy bottom that bodes well for this launching and removal work. When pond level is low we run out of sandy bottom and get into up to 2' thick of mud and God knows what else is buried under the muck. We'll have to contact Conservation Commission to see if we can put in some concrete launches that go 20-30 feet out into the pond. I'm on the committee that can fund improving our very steep boat launch. I've also been researching removable aluminum framed boat ramps that look promising.

Cheers

Leon

Thanks again. Yeah, all other boat launches are muddy mostly because we've been in an extreme drought for the past several weeks and pond level is exceptionally low. If pond level was higher most launches have a sandy bottom that bodes well for this launching and removal work. When pond level is low we run out of sandy bottom and get into up to 2' thick of mud and God knows what else is buried under the muck. We'll have to contact Conservation Commission to see if we can put in some concrete launches that go 20-30 feet out into the pond. I'm on the committee that can fund improving our very steep boat launch. I've also been researching removable aluminum framed boat ramps that look promising.

Cheers

Leon
Where do you boat/live?

Back