Oxidation with Sharkhide??

bonhomme

Reaction score
I'm starting to notice is that I'm beginning to lose a little speed after 2 months in the water. My first WOT speed was 43.6 mph with a full tank and 4 adults. Last week I went out by myself and was only running 41-42. I examined my toons for algae and noticed a thin white layer of white scale which is really hard to get off. It looks to me to be oxidation. I'm really starting to worry because I got the sharkhide from the factory which is supposed to protect against oxidation. I have been thinking of contacting my dealer about this issue. What do you think? Should this be happening after only a couple of months in freshwater?

bonhomme, when I first put my boat in the water new in 2012 it did 27MPH at WOT.  I cleaned my toons pretty good and put it in the water earlier this week, 24.3 was all it would do

Sharkhide won't prevent scum, if that's what this really is and not oxidation. Sharkhide makes it easier to clean. But, it may not have been applied correctly in your case, and very well could be oxidation. I would describe that more of a dulling look, not so much white. Check with your dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has been in the water less that a week . It is white at the weld seams .

No big deal ,my SLX did it last year too .

How about posting some pics for us to see?

Yeah, this stuff is on the entire toon from water level down. I don't think it's scum or it would wipe off with a sponge. I was only able to get it of with my fingernail scraping pretty hard. I don't want to use anything abrasive and I shouldn't have to according to Sharkhide. As for application it was done at the factory so it should be correctly applied. I will try to get some pics this weekend. Could be calcium maybe?? I really think it's oxidation because it's so uniform across all 3 toons. Hoping I'm wrong! If not, I feel Bennington should do something, just don't know what?? It's hard to get them back to shiny new,

If it's from the water line down, it's probably scum.  Mine sit in the air (garaged) and the oxidation is pretty even all over, above and below the water line.

I'm not sure if aluminum under water will oxidize...

So kaydano, do you think the sharkhide applied improperly? If you read their website or even posts by others the toons are supposed to be able to be wiped with a sponge and this isn't coming off without a Brillo pad!

Probably not applied improperly. More likely it may not have even been applied. I don't know though, as I've only had shark hide on for a couple weeks. But, it goes on like a clear cost of paint. Post some pics so others can see your issue.

Can a Brillo pad be used without removing the sharkhide ?

NO BRILLO !!  Scotchbrite.

NO BRILLO !!  Scotchbrite.
Thanks Carl.I thought I had seen that posted in the past .

Damage has most likely already been  done .

I wasn't really going to use a Brillo

Back