Piranha Props & Mercury Spitfire Props

acehiggy

Reaction score
Was out at one of the marinas at our lake and was talking with them about a new prop. He suggested a Michigan Wheel 14x9p or 14x11p. He also suggested the Piranha 14x11p. Anyone else have experience with the Piranha props? Also, I was thinking about the Mercury Spitfire 13.8x10p. Anyone have any experience with this prop either?

Boat is 2010 20SLI with 25" logs

Engine is Yamaha T50

Current prop is Black Max Silver 14x9p

With two people, full fuel, and calm waters, the WOT is 6000 to 6150 RPM (I believe it is hitting rev limit.

:rolleyes:

Just picked up my new Spitfire prop from the dealer Yesterday. I will be giving it some test runs next weekend. Had to talk dealer into ordering it for me. He wanted test results from Merc before stocking it.

14x11 is too big.

You can run a Mercury 14x10p or 14x9p, both of which work well. Make sure to use the Yamaha hardware kit and thrust washer.

At the beginning of the season the 14x10p will be best because you have clean logs and would hit the rev limiter with a 14x9p. On the other hand, as the season goes on and your logs get crusty the 14x9p will help prevent you from losing too much speed.

I just bought a Solas 14x9p, which is stiffer and has a slightly different cup design and it dropped my peak RPM from 6000rpm to 5200rpm. I even removed the restrictor from the intake, turning my T50 into a T60 and I still only got back 100rpm. On the other hand, my top speed went from 18mph to 19.5mph. I think if I had 25" logs (mine are 23"), I would have cracked 20mph.

I think your asessment is right on the mark! My current prop is matched real well and is probably the best prop. I think for a second prop I still would like to get some feedback from others on the Spitfire prop. I will probably go that route (spitfire 13.8 x 10p) if others have favorable success using it.

I do however like the Piranah prop concept but from what I can tell, their lowest pitch I can get for the diameter is 14 x 11p. However, their props weigh a lot less too, so maybe it would work just fine. They do have a free exchange program for different blades so you can experiment without additional cost and a 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work out.

Back