Pontoon Chroming

Come Monday

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I am contemplating having my pontoons polished so they look like chrome. I had them apply shark hide at the factory so I'm not sure how this works - if I'm removing the shark hide in order to get the pontoons to shine. I paid extra to have them treated so I don't want to waste money if it's not necessary.

The kicker is that I only use the boat in saltwater. Do you think all the work to have them look like the Mahogany Q toons will go to waste after a few uses in the salt water? It's kept high and dry, but saltwater is rough.

The reason I'm thinking about this is because we do a lot of rafting off and my pontoons have fender smudges on them that annoy me so I'd like to have the toons redone. I scrubbed them but the only way to have a consistent color is to have them redone. So I was thinking a chrome look would be super sharp but have no experience. I have a guy that is going to do it, a detailer at the marina, but even he's not sure because it's never been asked of him.

What would be perfect is if I could get him to chrome the tubes, then get him on a maintenance schedule to maintain their shine be it every two or three months. What would be not so perfect is to pay him to do this work and after two outings they're dull with no shark hide.

Any suggestions/experience? Thanks everyone.

My detailer chromed a tiny section, which looked like a mirror, but when we put the shark hide back on it dulled the finish. It took the clarity of the mirror finish away. I'm wondering if there is a product that works like shark hide but will keep the mirror finish. I wonder what Bennington uses to protect that mirror finish on the Mahogany series Q?

I know some have a passion to have that mirror finish but the effort and upkeep to keep that look is tremendous.  I despise the look of dirty toons but can put up with a dull finish.  I have my toons power washed and sharkhide applied every spring and perhaps we are fortunate we live on such a clean lake but that is generally all I do most years.  We were going on vacation for two weeks last month and had our boat pulled to add more LED lights under the seats so while it was out I had them power wash and reapply sharkhide but if the boat wasn't going to be pulled anyways I would not have bothered 

Is sharkhide a factory or dealer option?  No ever mentioned this to me during my purchase process.

I know some have a passion to have that mirror finish but the effort and upkeep to keep that look is tremendous.  I despise the look of dirty toons but can put up with a dull finish.  I have my toons power washed and sharkhide applied every spring and perhaps we are fortunate we live on such a clean lake but that is generally all I do most years.  We were going on vacation for two weeks last month and had our boat pulled to add more LED lights under the seats so while it was out I had them power wash and reapply sharkhide but if the boat wasn't going to be pulled anyways I would not have bothered
So, first pontoon boat. End of the season on the not so distant horizon. I have shark hide and look pretty good above waterline. Scrub from waterline down every couple of weeks but there is always a light growth, kind of like a burr haircut. Also,a little scaly look at waterline. When they pull it is the only way to clean without damaging the shark hide to power wash, or will this damage the shark hide as well? Will power washing really get all the crud off?

Last season ,I was able to remove mine with just some elbow grease and a wet sponge .

That being said ,I did not get to look at it this spring because I traded it in .Dealer said they looked good so I have to take his word for it .

Chrome don't get you home. Opps, wrong hobby. Thinking of the Harley's. But in all candor, the situation is the same. The upkeep and maintenance on chrome is a pain in the butt, shoulder, back etc.

Cheers, Steve

I agree - chrome don't get you home - well put! I'm sticking with the shark hide finish. If, however, someone figures out a way to easily keep them chromed - I'm all in.

Hey everyone - I am contemplating having my pontoons polished so they look like chrome. I had them apply shark hide at the factory so I'm not sure how this works - if I'm removing the shark hide in order to get the pontoons to shine. I paid extra to have them treated so I don't want to waste money if it's not necessary.

The kicker is that I only use the boat in saltwater. Do you think all the work to have them look like the Mahogany Q toons will go to waste after a few uses in the salt water? It's kept high and dry, but saltwater is rough.

The reason I'm thinking about this is because we do a lot of rafting off and my pontoons have fender smudges on them that annoy me so I'd like to have the toons redone. I scrubbed them but the only way to have a consistent color is to have them redone. So I was thinking a chrome look would be super sharp but have no experience. I have a guy that is going to do it, a detailer at the marina, but even he's not sure because it's never been asked of him.

What would be perfect is if I could get him to chrome the tubes, then get him on a maintenance schedule to maintain their shine be it every two or three months. What would be not so perfect is to pay him to do this work and after two outings they're dull with no shark hide.

Any suggestions/experience? Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_4489.jpeg
    IMG_4489.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 28
Ceramic Coating is the answer to Protection once you have the pontoons polished to a mirror

Do you have experience of how long it lasts? Everyone I've talked to says that ceramic is great, but doesn't last long in water contact on a boat hull. Especially in saltwater.

Sounds like you may have practical experience you could share based on your forum handle... ;)

To be specific, above the water line, Sharkhide or ceramic probably do a wonderful job. it's below the waterline that i'm talking about...

I like the Left side:)

Ceramic Coating is the answer to Protection once you have the pontoons polished to a mirror
Sorry, it sounds like you’re trying to sell your services.. I live in a saltwater environment and the ONLY thing that keeps a pontoon looking awesome is hard work with lots of elbow grease and patience.

Sorry, it sounds like you’re trying to sell your services.. I live in a saltwater environment and the ONLY thing that keeps a pontoon looking awesome is hard work with lots of elbow grease and patience.
I’m too pricey, however genuine ceramic like System X Lifetime Ceramic is able to protect against saltwater conditions, I was speaking from my experience, clients going on 4 years after the lifetime coating are holding up just fine, even from being docked for 6 months just letting people know there is a way

Do you have experience of how long it lasts? Everyone I've talked to says that ceramic is great, but doesn't last long in water contact on a boat hull. Especially in saltwater.

Sounds like you may have practical experience you could share based on your forum handle... ;)

To be specific, above the water line, Sharkhide or ceramic probably do a wonderful job. it's below the waterline that i'm talking about...
System X Lifetime Ceramic - installers all over the usa I can vouch for 4 years of clients pontoons that held up, so I know for 4 years it’s doing just fine, even with docked boats, the waterline isnt even visible on the pontoons after being pulled out, just when installing the ceramic Lay it on THICK and let it cure for the maximum time

I’m too pricey, however genuine ceramic like System X Lifetime Ceramic is able to protect against saltwater conditions, I was speaking from my experience, clients going on 4 years after the lifetime coating are holding up just fine, even from being docked for 6 months just letting people know there is a way
I’m assuming you mean above the waterline? Typically folks asking in our forums are referring to below the waterline, as that’s the intended use for something like sharkhide. (And bottom paint for our salty dogs…. lol)

Back