Pontoon damage

Taggy

Reaction score
I just started using a high and dry marina this year. Went down yesterday to take the boat out for the first time. There was a delay in getting my boat put in the water. The general manager walked up and explained there was damage done to both pontoons by the fork lift operator leaving dents in both pontoons and breaking the weld seem in one of them. They patched the seem with sealant so we could use it for the day. They apologized and said they would have a welder fix the damage, but admitted that it would never be quite rite. They are offering free storage for an unspecified time to make up for the loss. Since this is a 2015 model, I'm thinking I should demand both pontoons be replaced. Anyone have to deal with this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have them replaced.  The marina  should be insured .

I  had my port side replaced 2 years ago $3500.00 

You have a 7 year or even a 10 year hull warranty.

I think you just voided it unless you have the repair done by an authorized Bennington dealer.

A breach in the pontoons is something to take very seriously. A pontoon boat has no bilge pumps.

If a pontoon fills with water, the boat will capsize (two toons) or might capsize (three pontoons). 

If the boat were 10+ years old, I might accept the marina offer...but not in your case.

Jim

If you have boat insurance you can file a claim and let the insurance company fight it out with the marina. My boat was damaged when it was being delivered this past May. The general manager tried to dock it and hit the dock. He has ordered a new pontoon and said he will replace it  but I let my insurer know just in case.

If you have boat insurance you can file a claim and let the insurance company fight it out with the marina. My boat was damaged when it was being delivered this past May. The general manager tried to dock it and hit the dock. He has ordered a new pontoon and said he will replace it  but I let my insurer know just in case.

File an insurance claim.  They cannot pull dents out of a pontoon, so you're going to need new pontoons.  Accept nothing less.  It's your boat that they damaged.  Very simple.

and it sucks....

I appreciate all your comments. I will speak with my insurance company and see what they suggest. The issue of the warranty is a valid point.

If warranty is a concern ,as it should be . A Bennington dealer would need to order the pontoons and do the work .

Yeah, call your insurance company first and a BM dealer second.

+1 on the above comments.  

Agree - replace

Back