Pontoon Hoist & Canopy

Spar-Toon

Reaction score
Zukey - Portage Chain Of Lakes Hamburg MI
Does getting a hoist with a good canopy keep you from having to put the cover on at night?   Or do you still have to put the cover on to avoid all of the spiders and bugs.  Looking forward to your opinions based on your experiences.

We have a camp and live there from May thru September. We have a canopy on a Hewitt lift, and never cover the boat. Yes, I do get some spiders in the canopy frame, but not really a big deal. Having the boat on the lift with just the canopy, and not having to remove and re-install a cover, makes it so convenient to use the boat, and it gets used so much more than if we had to uncover it. I also put two fake birds (owl and hawk) at opposite corners on the lift uprights, above the level of the canopy, and they have been doing a great job of keeping the birds away.

We cover ours every night. The canopy keeps it dry. The cover keeps it clean. Also? Keeping the boat on a lift keeps the toons clean and you can still go out and sit on the boat in the rain. It's actually quite relaxing! 

Even with a canopy with extended side curtains, I still drape the cover over the boat at night. We have spiders, small birds, and pollen that all make a mess very quickly.

Yup, pollen and morning dew. I always cover but don't use the poles much.

Cwag911, do you have clips or snaps.  Will the cover still stay in place when the wind comes up?

Cwag911, do you have clips or snaps.  Will the cover still stay in place when the wind comes up?

I have snaps but only use some of them to keep the cover there. If it's going to be a long time without use or a big rain is expected, it all gets snapped and the poles installed. Even though it's under a roof, if you get sideways rain it'll get wet inside without the poles. And I know that how?  :eek: 011 320x200.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I only do every other or every third snap on the cover with no poles as well unless a storm is coming or I'll be out of town.

"Tempo" does wonders in keeping the spiders out of lift canopy.

"Tempo" does wonders in keeping the spiders out of lift canopy.

What is that? I go out there at night with a flash lite and my flip flop and whack them into the water for fish food.

Back