Pontoon Selection Help

TI Guy

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the forum and so new to Bennington that I don't even have one yet... key word "yet". I'm trying to decide which selection of pontoons to make, and thought who better to ask than current owners. I live on a rather large lake (Winnipesaukee) in NH, and it can get quite choppy with both wind and boat traffic. Hence, I'm looking at tri-toons for a smoother ride. With all the new technology in pontoons these days, it's hard to figure out how one differs from the next. I'm particulaly interested in the ESP package and the Express package, though some have even suggested the SPS package. I'm soooo confused. Yes, I've driven the ESP and the Express (I think that's the one I was on) at my local dealer, and I did notice a difference. I liked the banking of the ESP package, but heard that with a number of people on board that cruise speed suffers. On the other hand, the Express package isn't reported to slow as much with a few extra passengers, but it doesn't bank as well in the turns. I plan on using the boat mostly for cruising, but will occasionally pull a skier or tuber. My question to the forum knowledge bank is, "What do you have, and why did you choose that setup?" Not too difficult a question. I'll be interested to hear all your stories.

Welcome TI Guy. We have a 07' 2275rl with Honda 150 and strakes on all the tubes. It goes great (in a straight line) but suffers in the turns. Our next toon will deffinately have ESP and a 250 on the back. You're on a big lake and the 3 tubes are a great idea and then you have to ask yourself, what are you going to use it for, do you want performance (turning) or the best top speed. I personally would want tighter turning. Many more will chime in with more suggestions. B)

Welcome to the club TiGuy.

We have a 2010 2275 RLI with a 150 and the ESP. We love to ski and tube. I chose the ESP for the turning ability so as to be able to sling the tube easier. Again it is all a personal preference. In my opinion, and it is only that, you are probably talking only 2 to 3 mph difference in the two options. Yes the ESP might be a little slower in a straight line, but the turning ability is worth that. Again, I have experience with the express or the sps so I am only guessing at the difference based on what I have read.

Good luck on your decision as I know these are tough choices to make. This is my second Bennington as my first one, a 2250 gcw with a 115 and twin elliptical tubes did not perform as I expected. I traded up to the one I have now for more performance.

I liked the banking of the ESP package, but heard that with a number of people on board that cruise speed suffers.
I wouldn't worry about that. Of all your possible options, the ESP has the most surface area in contact with the water, hence the most resistance. Therefore, all things being equal, it won't be the fastest option. (Highest top speed)

Having said that, it's not going to lose much.

About Winni...

I know a little about that lake. I used to attend Franklin Pierce College and I've done a lot of traveling and skiing in upstate NY, VT & NH.

Thing is... Winnipesaukee is no joke. I think the only lake in new England that's bigger than Winnipesaukee is Lake Champlain and if you don't take it seriously, it can kill you. For real. The wave heights on windy days can reach several feet, which doesn't sound like much, unless you're IN the water and trying to keep breathing.

I did a quick search and found a couple of pictures from a few years ago and I've posted them below.

Personally, I wouldn't set out on Winni in anything less than a 25 footer with ESP and a 250hp outboard; and I would PREFER a 28 footer. That's if I was going out there on a pontoon boat at all.

Don't get me wrong...

It's not anywhere near as dangerous as Lake Erie or Lake Michigan can be. Or for that matter, Lake Champlain.

And of course, pontoon boats don't generally sink, although their decks CAN be "cleaned" by waves bigg enough to break over said deck.

CWAG...

Wasn't there a discussion about that at that other place a few years back...?

Some guy had all his forward furniture swept off up on Erie?

DSC_00982.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

TI Guy,

We have the 2012 Bennington 22SSi

*Tritoon XL performance package

*Mercury 150 4 stroke

*lifting strakes and wave shields

We chose this model for the performance & handling. We also carry quite a few friends, the XL package gives us the load capacity and the extra speed. We boat on a private lake and on the Colorado River (Parker Az) the river is 10 miles long and it can get rough! The boat has the speed (40 mph with 6 on-board) and a smooth dry ride in rough water. Also the new Mercury 150 is very quiet and has lots of torque for pulling skiers! The back of the SSI is set up as a fishing station so we get the best of both worlds cruising & fishing.

RiverBill

I wouldn't worry about that. Of all your possible options, the ESP has the most surface area in contact with the water, hence the most resistance. Therefore, all things being equal, it won't be the fastest option. (Highest top speed)

Having said that, it's not going to lose much.

About Winni...

I know a little about that lake. I used to attend Franklin Pierce College and I've done a lot of traveling and skiing in upstate NY, VT & NH.

Thing is... Winnipesaukee is no joke. I think the only lake in new England that's bigger than Winnipesaukee is Lake Champlain and if you don't take it seriously, it can kill you. For real. The wave heights on windy days can reach several feet, which doesn't sound like much, unless you're IN the water and trying to keep breathing.

I did a quick search and found a couple of pictures from a few years ago and I've posted them below.

Personally, I wouldn't set out on Winni in anything less than a 25 footer with ESP and a 250hp outboard; and I would PREFER a 28 footer. That's if I was going out there on a pontoon boat at all.

Don't get me wrong...

It's not anywhere near as dangerous as Lake Erie or Lake Michigan can be. Or for that matter, Lake Champlain.

And of course, pontoon boats don't generally sink, although their decks CAN be "cleaned" by waves bigg enough to break over said deck.

CWAG...

Wasn't there a discussion about that at that other place a few years back...?

Some guy had all his forward furniture swept off up on Erie?

DSC_00982.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG
Commodore Ericscher

Thanks for the input, as well as the others who have replied. I have been on Winnipesaukee when it's been that rough... those pictures are realistic. I grew up on Lake Erie, near Dunkirk, so I've seen much worse than the pictures you attached. Erie is where I learned respect for waves, and the weather that spawns them. I was out on Lake Erie once, on a glassy calm night, when a stiff (10 to 15 mph) breeze came out of nowhere. I told my buddies we were heading back in, and they boo hoo'ed me. We only had about a mile and a half to get back to shore, and by the time we got there the waves were 1 1/2 feet high and the wind up to about 25 mph. Be aware of the conditions you're operating under...

Commodore Ericscher

Don't know why the "Fast Reply" shows up and sometimes it doesn't. At any rate, if you missed it, here was my reply:

Thanks for the input, as well as the others who have replied. I have been on Winnipesaukee when it's been that rough... those pictures are realistic. I grew up on Lake Erie, near Dunkirk, so I've seen much worse than the pictures you attached. Erie is where I learned respect for waves, and the weather that spawns them. I was out on Lake Erie once, on a glassy calm night, when a stiff (10 to 15 mph) breeze came out of nowhere. I told my buddies we were heading back in, and they boo hoo'ed me. We only had about a mile and a half to get back to shore, and by the time we got there the waves were 1 1/2 feet high and the wind up to about 25 mph. Be aware of the conditions you're operating under...

Back