Pontoon Storage

TOON'D OUT

Reaction score
Just recieved a letter from our HOA and they are giving us notice that we cannot park our pontoon boat at our home. They were quite ugly about it to say the least. And to boot we live in a lake community.

Many convenants are not enforced in this community and its interesting how they just decided to single us out. Needless to say we are pretty sad about having to move our new pontoon boat. It has really taken the "wind out of our sails". We have consulted an attorney and may ask for a variance. I doubt the HOA will budge.

They have been unreasonable to say the least.

I just wanted to get a few ideas from those on here who store their TOON when not in use.

We are pretty bummed, but will get over it at some point. We hope to find someplace close to home to store our new TOON.

Not looking for any sympathy here, just a few storage ideas.

Any marinas or storage facilities nearby? For a few hundred bucks, you might find them open to letting you store it outside. Ideally, you want a secured site with fencing, locking gates and security cameras. You'll need a key or code so you can come and go.

I have indoor boat storage arrangements with a buddy who owns a large storage operation. It's located between my cottage and the lake. I don't know what the going rates are and I'm afraid to even ask; I just know I am getting a huge deal.

Just recieved a letter from our HOA and they are giving us notice that we cannot park our pontoon boat at our home. They were quite ugly about it to say the least. And to boot we live in a lake community.

Many convenants are not enforced in this community and its interesting how they just decided to single us out. Needless to say we are pretty sad about having to move our new pontoon boat. It has really taken the "wind out of our sails". We have consulted an attorney and may ask for a variance. I doubt the HOA will budge.

They have been unreasonable to say the least.

I just wanted to get a few ideas from those on here who store their TOON when not in use.

We are pretty bummed, but will get over it at some point. We hope to find someplace close to home to store our new TOON.

Not looking for any sympathy here, just a few storage ideas.

We spend $125.00 per month for storage at the lake. It is within 1/2 mile of two put-ins. There should be something close.

I'm not sure if your garage can handle it where you could park a car outside and keep the boat in the garage. During the past 2 months I have reconfigured my garage to fit my 20 SLI inside on car dollies. With the motor down you would need 23' of depth. But if you have a trailer, then you would still have a storage problem. I'm just looking to do this for winter storage as my boat is on the dock during boating season and my dealer offers free use of a hydraulic lifting trailer. It was a needle in a haystack but I thought I would through it out there. HOA's can be a real pain in the ass!

I store mine in a covered outdoor storage facility (with fences, gates, entry codes, video, ect) that is about a half mile from my home. I pay $100 per month. When I was researching for a storage place, I found the going rate for what I have ranged from $100 to $170 in the DFW area.

I am on the board of my 3900+ homes HOA; wont get into all that except to say I feel my boat is safer in the storage facility. There seems to be too many young kids around that like to vandalize anything unusual. I got on the HOA board to make sure I had some control/influence over my fate; what I have found is that, for a variety of reasons, HOAs do in fact suck. :(

It is in the slip during the summer, but I am nervous about having it sit there all winter outside. Maybe that is because it is so new, but I can see it parked inside with a TV showing videos of the lake and a warm electric blanket wrapped all around it. It will need to be close so I can go visit and make sure it doesn't get lonely. With the slip I have outdoor dry storage but the only security is a combination lock on a chain. I am searching for indoor storage because my wife said I couldn't put it in the living room.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I have a friend who has offered to let me keep it behind his home in his backyard at no cost so he thinks. :) I am still going to offer him a monthly fee.

I just cannot take accept free, as he is a friend. He is a detective and his home is quite secure and out of the way.

He lives about .5 miles from me. We plan to meet on Monday and discuss further.

Thanks again for everyone's ideas and weighing in.

I did not know how lucky i was untill i read this thread...I have a deal with my dealer that he stores it inside year round and all i need to do is call him and he will drop it in the river and when i am done he will pick it up and back in storage...I have my own trailer and may or may not use the previous arrangement,but none the less it is a nice arrangement...I think i am pretty lucky...Good luck with yours ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep mine on blocks on my driveway in the winter. My HOA is pretty mellow, we have not even had a meeting in 5 years. I think you have a good idea in storing it at a friends house. I don't know about paying him, that makes it a storage facility. I keep a jet ski for a friend of mine (ex cop) he lets me use it early and late in the season and when his grandkids are not in town.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back