Port gate seat?

ChrisP

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if you can order seating like the bow gate seat in the port gate location? On 2275 RCW.

Thanks,

ChrisP

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me if you can order seating like the bow gate seat in the port gate location? On 2275 RCW.

Thanks,

ChrisP
I don't believe you can. I have the bow gate seat on my 2011 2275 RCW and I cannot use it on the port side. I wish Bennington would have designed them to be interchangeable. It's about 1/4" to wide for the port side gate. Makes me mad because we use the bow gate to usually get on/off and would be nice to move the seat over to port side.

I have the bow gate seat option on our 2011 RCW 2275 and use it sometimes at the port gate. It is slightly to large as putz stated but it works for us. The seat does not fit flush with the other port side seating but it is close. I agree that it would be a nice option for Bennington to have a seat designed for placement there. It is nice having the bow area open when we pull up to the island area.

DISCLAIMER:

I don't speak for Bennington. I'm just a guy on a web board who has some extra buttons in his user interface.

Having said that...

I've been reliably informed that there are some things that can be ordered "special" but it really comes down to this:

Is it possible to meet your request without re-engineering anything?

In other words, can your order be filled by simply reaching into parts bin "D" instead of parts bin "B".

Deleting a couch that has no wiring going to it and replacing it with individual seats that also have no wiring going to it is simply a matter of getting someone to say "OK" because it's just a case of bolting something else to the floor.

Wanting to place a seat or couch in a place that would require modifications to either the seat, gate or floor would be a problem.

Look through the catalog carefully and see if there is a way to get something at least close to what you want by ordering the right items up front. That goes for whether you are placing an order for a boat or just looking for some furniture that Bennington already makes and which can be retrofitted to your boat by the dealer.

All of this is a lot easier if you can show the parts guy a circled picture and say; "I want you to order that and then install it in my boat".

Guess we are lucky with our 2275GCW. Our front filler seat fits loose in front of our port gate. In fact it usually sits in front of the port gate but facing forward so that person can face forward while cruising.

I have the bow seat for a 2011 2275 RCW and mine fits just fine at the port gate, I never thought it was too large by any means. The think only thing that doesn’t sit flush is the seat back of the bow seat is slightly shorter than then the port side seating, but it still looks fine.

I have the bow seat for a 2011 2275 RCW and mine fits just fine at the port gate, I never thought it was too large by any means. The think only thing that doesn’t sit flush is the seat back of the bow seat is slightly shorter than then the port side seating, but it still looks fine.
Ryan's experience is exactly the same as mine. The only hassle for us is that when in the port gate position, the seat tips forward easily.

Maybe the fit is better on the 2275 because the port seat right across the aisle from the driver isn't a lounger. Just a guess.

Eric, I have those extra buttons, too, but I may be even further off base. I'm not sure I catch your drift. Parts end up in Bin B and Bin D for a reason; someone ordered them based on a parts manifest. If you scoop something from Bin D instead of Bin B, doesn't that mean the bin is missing necessary parts for a later build? And there's extra in Bin A? I don't build boats for a living and I don't build them on TV, but I'm not seeing how your "option" is workable on the factory floor.

PS: I've never seen the BM assembly line, but I did get a tour of our local GM plant that builds Buick Enclaves, GMC Acadias and Chevy Traverses. That's some logistics, bay-bee!!!!

I've been reliably informed that there are some things that can be ordered "special" but it really comes down to this:Is it possible to meet your request without re-engineering anything?

In other words, can your order be filled by simply reaching into parts bin "D" instead of parts bin "B".

Deleting a couch that has no wiring going to it and replacing it with individual seats that also have no wiring going to it is simply a matter of getting someone to say "OK" because it's just a case of bolting something else to the floor.

Wanting to place a seat or couch in a place that would require modifications to either the seat, gate or floor would be a problem.

Look through the catalog carefully and see if there is a way to get something at least close to what you want by ordering the right items up front. That goes for whether you are placing an order for a boat or just looking for some furniture that Bennington already makes and which can be retrofitted to your boat by the dealer.

All of this is a lot easier if you can show the parts guy a circled picture and say; "I want you to order that and then install it in my boat".

I expected mine to fit in the port gate as well. Glad to hear yours works. Mine is 1/4" too wide so I can't even force it in there. Damn!

Sorry guys, depending on the boat model and model year, some bow gate seats will fit on the port side and others will not. That's why we publish them as "bow gate" seats and not "interchangable gate" seats. If we build a uniform bow gate seat that always fits the port side, some folks would get a bow gate seat that is too small for the bow, leaving significant gaps in an otherwise smooth-flowing u-shaped furniture group up front. We try, but we can't do it all! :unsure:

Bennington is very good with the "grab parts A rather than part B" thinking. I ordered a boat that came with an aft table and request a table base fitting forward so I can be flexible with where I wanted the table , forward or aft. Bennington made me very happy and installed the hardware I requested.

Same problem with my 2013 2275 RCW. 

Really poor planning on Benningtons part, the bow seat is literally 3/16"" too wide to fit in the port side.  Found out the hard way by pushing the seat in with a little force, ended up tearing the vinyl sides on the seat and couch.

Mine fits nicely in the port of my 2275 GCW. Well, almost nicely. There is a little 1-2" gap that is a little inconvenient. It would be pretty neat to just plan that to fit perfectly no matter which boat. I mean, why not?

This is one of those things that I considered when ordering my boat. We use the bow seat exclusively as a port side gate seat. I liked the lay out on the GSR much more than the RSR. The starboard space between the helm and the front seat is where the cooler resides as well as a few other items. I wanted extra floor space for various reasons and didn't want the lounge directly in front of the helm.

Cheers, Steve

I thought I really wanted a port/bow seat when I ordered our boat, but it wasn't an option at the time on the S.

Glad it wasn't an option.  I don't think I would have ever used it after the first day.  When the boat isn't full of people, there are plenty of seats.  When we have had full capacity of 13 on board, coolers filled the port gate opening, and we needed the bow gate open (kids we're jumping off the front).  A port or bow gate seat would have just been in the way.

Plus it blocks the fire exit.  Ha ha ha (it's a boat).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine never comes out. I keep it on the port side and it stays there. I'm thinking about bolting it there.

Mine never comes out. I keep it on the port side and it stays there. I'm thinking about bolting it there.
I've considered doing the same as I will never use it up front. Do you have issues with it tipping over too? I was thinking it needs to become my dedicated anchor location to try to hold it down. 

I've considered doing the same as I will never use it up front. Do you have issues with it tipping over too? I was thinking it needs to become my dedicated anchor location to try to hold it down. 
I do have this issue on occasion. Mostly when I'm trying to lift the outer tubes out of the water. :) I've also thought about clamping the two together as to not drill any holes. Not sure if this is possible to do as it may interfere with both seats closing.

Reactions: KLM
I ordered the bow seat and most of the time I keep it in front of the starboard gate, fits perfectly

Our bow seat fits just fine on the bow gate

Back