Power pole, 1 or 2 ?

edwardsco

Reaction score
I've purchased a new 22' SX w/ swingback from Ingman Marine in SWF. The intention is to use the boat in shallow water around beaches for socializing. I'd like to hold the boat in place with a power pole and have a couple questions. This model has 30" to 36" of open deck on the back for a swim platform or fishing. My questions are, will it take 2 poles to keep it from swinging, and if so, how far away should they be mounted from the 150 Yamaha. The starboard pole would have to be mounted between ladder and motor. Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• 20240717_094707.jpg
    20240717_094707.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 20
Welcome Edward and congratulations on your new Benny! Sorry I can’t give you any suggestions regarding power poles, but a quick search using the search box at the top might be helpful as there are some members that have them.

We don't have power poles, but everything I read says 2 are the way to go.

I have one and I am in a lake that can get a bit wavy due mainly to boat track. Waves can come from various direction. Most of the time the single pole holds position very well with slight swings back and forth. When it is really busy like a holiday I just walk my anchor out a bit and use it so prevent swing

A rock and a rope are much cheaper!

Powerpoles are great but for your use I wouldn't splurge for 2 (or even 1) when a couple of anchors tied to your fore and aft cleats will do the same thing. If those lines get in the way, you can use those stick-it pins that kayakers and flats boats use. Couple of hundred dollars vs. many thousands.

I have the same boat 22 sx22 swing back with salt water package. I wanted it so that we could pull up to a beach and just drop the power pole. We went with a single Power Pole 10' Blade. We used the pontoon mount kit 17.5-19" kit and with our large decks on the back you will also need the 11 degree wedge for proper clearance of the deck. I did not want to block my ladder so I am trying one for now. So far so good. There is some others on here that did the same. We went up to Homossassa and all the pontoon boats up there had power poles

I have two MinnKota 10' power poles on my QX. They are wonderful to use while beaching and I bought them mainly for convenience. But I also do have heavier anchors in case we are in extremely rough chop. But we like to beach all the time so very convenient to have. I would recommend having two instead of one due to the weight of the boat. jmo

Back